Thursday, October 22, 2015

I followed doctor's orders and watched movies from the couch yesterday.  Okay, he didn't exactly say that, but I am supposed to stay off of my foot as much as possible.



In the afternoon I watched a very powerful, well-done documentary.


It was not an easy one to watch - in fact I did think of taking a break from it - but I highly recommend it, and even suggest that it should be required watching for all global citizens. I'm sad to say that before this I'd never even heard of Raphael Lemkin.

... stories of remarkable courage while setting out to uncover the forgotten life of Raphael Lemkin, the man who coined the term 'genocide'. Inspired by Samantha Power's Pulitzer Prize-winning book, 'A Problem From Hell', 'Watchers of the Sky' traverses time and continents to explore genocide and the cycle of violence.
  • From the Armenian genocide to the Syrian civil war, 'Watchers of the Skyexamines the cycle of violence, and the world's response, from a variety of angles: historical, psychological, political, legal, and experiential. Interwoven with modern stories, this feature-length documentary film takes you on a journey from Nuremberg to Rwanda, from Bosnia to Darfur, and from apathy to action.

In the evening Tom and I watched The Water Diviner.  He doesn't always enjoy my Netflix selections, but this one got a 'thumbs up' from him (despite the difficulty we sometimes had with the Australian and British accents.)



It was nippy outside last evening, and there was even a chill in the house this morning - though the storm front may finally be past us, and it is predicted to be warmer than usual again this weekend.  Pokey has been very glad to be able to retreat this week to her nice warm 'cave' with its heat lamp.  Here she is this morning, sticking her head out to check on weather conditions. After a quick reconnaissance mission she has decided to stay put until it warms up some more.






No comments:

Post a Comment