Thursday, October 8, 2015

Fun at book club last night (of course!)  Everyone had enjoyed the book, and those of us who had read it years ago and needed to reread it all had the same reaction: we enjoyed it even more the second time around. 


The book begins with a real event in history that Jim Fergus deems the “seed” that grew into a novel. During a peace conference at Fort Laramie in 1854, a prominent Northern Cheyenne chief requested one thousand white women as brides for his young men. His reasoning? Because children are born into their mother’s tribe, the chief believed that procreating with white wives would be the perfect means of assimilation into white society. As you can probably imagine, in real life this request was not well received in Washington, and the white women were never sent to the Cheyenne people. In Jim Fergus’ novel, they are.

 The food was yummy (as always), and Cheri cracked us up when she greeted us at the door in her "Indian" regalia.  All of us had to choose Native American names for the evening (many in the book were rather descriptive and quite entertaining), and hers was Runs in Circles.



Alex didn't come by until after I had been picked up by Myra at 6:00 last night, so he was kind enough to stop by on his way to the airport this morning to say goodbye.  He said he was tired (and he looked it) so I assume he partied hard last night.  Burning the candle at both end is only for the young!


We hope to see him in a couple of weeks when the tour swings through Arizona, though the venue (this time at the Mesa Ampitheatre) isn't be nearly as conveniently located as the previous concerts.



I have been working this morning on the bookshelves in Lisa's room, where Tom "helpfully" relocated my quilting things (without my permission, or knowledge) when I was Back East a couple of years ago.  Of course since that move I haven't been able to find things when I've needed them, so I'm finally organizing - and getting rid of stuff!  I already have quite a pile of patterns, etc. to take to Foothills with me on Wednesday. 


This applies to women also... <G>



No comments:

Post a Comment