Monday, September 9, 2013

Yesterday may have started out as a lazy rainy day... but it sure filled up later.

After it stopped raining (and it rained quite steadily for a long time) I decided it was a good time to go scrape the driveway.  Because of the dip where our driveway meets the street, dirt from the roof runoff collects there, and then grass quite happily grows... and I'm tired of mowing the driveway!  

Scraping all that dirt and grass took a while, and once I finished that I got to work on the huge crop of goatheads out by the mailbox and other side of driveway.  While most weeds pull up quite easily from the soggy ground, the goatheads (VERY nasty weeds, with pronged stickers that often go right through flip flops) don't.  

So that meant shoveling out the dirt around them in order to pull them.  I made a dent in them, although once my back started to complain about all the shoveling I left the rest to Tom (who worked on them later, but said he didn't get all of them either... it was quite a bumper crop this year!)

After a shower and something to eat I was all set to head to the gym (really!) when I was saved by a phone call from Marilyn.  She called ostensibly to help me with my iPod, but she was outside and we ended up talking about the Navy, and never did deal with the iPod.  While I was on the house phone with her Teresa called on the cell phone (which I didn't answer); I figured I'd call her back later.

I did finally make it to the gym, but not having been there in a week I could really tell the difference, and my workout was a bit harder than I would have liked.  When I got home, Teresa was there waiting for me.  Tom had mentioned that Kaye was coming over to knap, and Teresa tagged along.  Apparently they got there shortly after I left for the gym, but she'd brought along a book 'just in case', so it worked out okay.

While the guys went out to knap we started chatting about lunch places (the guys are going grubbing Tuesday and we might do lunch) and it turns out she's never been to Wildflower.  When I mentioned their 'to die for' chocolate cake her eyes lit up, and to make a long story short (too late?) we headed over there to get some.  (Which totally wrecked my gym workout, and then some, right?)

Steve joined the guys to knap (love his funky ponytail beard), and later the 5 of us did pizza and chicken wings for dinner.  Afterward I introduced Teresa to Pinterest (I had tried to explain it to her while picking up the pizzas, but 'a' picture is worth a thousand words, right?) before they had to zoom home and feed the horses.

Steve offered to do some massage work on my thumb when he saw me wearing the brace (he was amazed at the inflammation of the joint... he had assumed it was muscle/ligaments/tendons) and it felt great.  He'd have a great future as a masseuse!

Steve had just asked about Alex, and what's he's up to, when Alex and Clay walked in.  So there went the leftover pizza and chicken wings (not necessarily a bad thing...!)

And here it is, Monday morning, and I'm about to get ready to head to the gym for my weekly session with Jim. 


No comments:

Post a Comment