Thursday, September 19, 2013

Some of the big 'news' last night (though not really news to those of us who spent the summer here) was that 2013 was the hottest summer on record.  
The segment did include a bunch of impressive specifics which I don't actually remember: number of days we hit triple digits (practically every day, and which probably started before the official First Day of Summer...), the number of days at 110 or above (and there were way too many of them), plus the inevitable mention of our Summer High of 119 (June 19th?)   

And in a (very) brief nod to the calendar, on the upcoming First Day of Autumn (hah!) the high is expected to 'only' be 100, although (of course) not stay that 'low' in the following days.  At least in some places, the things on this Fall List are 'thinkable' <g> although it will still be (quite) a while for us to get that point!
But we muddled through (as always)  
and soon we'll be enjoying 'regular' weather while much the rest of the country deals with cold (and snow!)  Which is 'snow' pretty to look at.... but I sure DON"T miss shoveling it or driving in it or otherwise dealing with it!!!

I was up late again last night, reading until almost midnight, and yet (again) woke up early, around 5:00.  I did finish The Bookman's Tale yesterday (which I recommend) and so last night started another (longer) book that holds great promise: The Invisible Bridge, by Julie Orringer.

This morning I cleaned the pool (it's delightfully cool and crisp out there this early) but when I came inside my back started screaming at me.  Not sure what I did out there (besides the usual sweeping the bottom and scooping the top!) but my back hasn't seriously hurt like this (stabbing at me) in a long time (for which I have been extremely grateful!)  I would dearly love to return to that 'just a chronic ache' state of bliss!

Jeannie is picking me up at 8:00 to go have 'coffee' at Starbucks with a group of quilting ladies.  Hope I can still make it!  And speaking of Starbucks - according to the news last night, their CEO is now asking patrons to not brings guns in with them because it's disturbing to the other patrons.  (Ya think?)  
Here's hoping a group of gun-toting fanatics doesn't show up to 'make a statement'.  Sigh.

Alex is coming over later this morning (it's his day off from LA Fitness) to help Tom trim some of the trees along the center ditch where their branches hang perilously over the guest cottage.  We just had our quarterly bulk trash pickup (which means the next one won't be until December) and already our 'staging pile' of branches has already grown to healthy proportions; Tom spent yesterday working in the yard, and did some serious trimmage to the mulberry tree by the hot tub that shades his knapping area around the shop.  It was beginning to get difficult for to drive his truck under there without scraping the roof.

The ice pack seems to have helped my back some, and now I'm off for a nice hot shower to finish up my 'therapy'.  Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment