Thursday, November 29, 2012

The oncologist has okayed my return to the classroom (the maintenance chemo does not zap the immune system like the 'regular' chemo), so yesterday I checked with the District Office about getting my new ID and starting to sub again in January.  Maybe I'll be able to handle one day a week.  We shall see.

In the meantime, a week from tomorrow I start my new 'career' as the Reading Wizard at the elementary school where I volunteer.  Apparently I will visit every (!) classroom on half-days, and do some sort of exercise with their vocabulary words.  Vicki still hasn't given me all the details. 

For the past 7 years I volunteered in Diane's 5th grade classroom every Friday, and was dubbed The Walking Dictionary.  (Always exciting for all of us when the kids stumped me!)  Unfortunately a new set-up of the 5th grade (and of course my chemo and radiation) put that exercise on hold, but maybe I'll enjoy this new position as much.

In the meantime, I need to get working on my outfit.  My plan is to use one of the leftover graduation gowns and sew on pieces of fabrics from children's stories.  Already have my hat and wand.
Haven't had as much luck collecting fabrics as I would like, but still looking.  (A great excuse to hit all the quilt stores, right?)  In the meantime I'm pretty sure that I have enough to get started.  Of course I'll post a picture of the wizard robe next week. <g>

No comments:

Post a Comment