Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Quilt progress

Fun Sew Day at Linda's yesterday - and when the discussion turned to the Schoolhouse Block, I discovered that everyone there who had tried it was also mega irritated with it. Louise really has us all 'mad' at her!

 Even though we brown-bagged it, Linda made delicious taco soup, cornbread, and  hot-from-the-oven cherry cobbler -what a gracious hostess she is!  Here's her recipe if you feel like making soup (we've been setting heat records all week, with no end in sight.)
TACO SOUP
1 lb. ground turkey or ground beef, browned and drained
1 onion, chopped
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (or other beans such as black beans, pinto beans, etc.)
1 can chili beans, undrained
1 can whole corn, undrained 
2 cans chopped tomatoes (fire roasted are good in this)
1 pkg. ranch salad dressing mix
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 1/2 cups water or chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
Optional items if you want it spicy:  1 small can green chiles, pinch red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
Brown meat and onion together.  Drain, mix all ingredients together in stew pot and cook two hours or longer.  (To use crockpot.....cook for three hours on low).  Serve with Fritos.  Makes 12 cups

I did finish the binding on my mug rug (thank you, Linda!) so I was able to cross that off my list when I got home.
  Also got some more of my hand-quilting done, and am at the 'end is in sight' stage on that project.  Then, since I was 'in the neighborhood', I stopped in at Sun Valley Quilts on west Bell, but didn't see anything I needed to buy.

This morning was Charity Sew Day at Busy Bees.  I wasn't able to stand and do much (got some sympathy for my toes/foot, along with agreement that I probably broke the toe), but did bring home a bag of bright fabrics to make into a top.  Yay - another project to start.  :-)  
Since I had a 40% off coupon (which expires this weekend) for 35th Ave. I had to make a stop there after quilting.  Thought Carol might want to join me (I know she misses being able to drive there herself) which she didn't.  But as long as I was at her house I did help her with some things on her computer.  Hopefully next Wednesday I'll be able to finish up (Facebook got puffed at me today for trying something too many times and locked us out.)
However I did find what I was looking for at 35th Ave - ice cream fabric!  Can't wait to start my summer quilt, with the flip flop and ice cream blocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment