Sunday, August 14, 2011

Happy house plants

Yesterday was reasonably productive - maybe because I did not work on my Schoolhouse BOM? Both Target and the grocery store were more crowded than usual, but it's always nice to cross off those two errands.
 Also got lots of little things done, like (finally) repotting my red kaleidoscope.  It has just kept blooming and blooming and blooming, as long as I watered it every day.  (Maybe with a bigger pot it can go 2 days now?)  After I brought mine home early in the summer I started noticing them planted in pots when I've been out and about - probably because they are very dramatic.  The blooms are a beautiful deep red, which doesn't really show in this picture.
My asparagus fern is looking better than ever, and currently has more new shoots starting.  I'm hoping that I've finally figured out how to make it happy, and that one day it will approach the fullness I've seen elsewhere.
 Same goes for the Wandering Jew I started from shoots off of Patti's.
I've even started a second one, using shoots off of mine.  Could this be the start of a trend?                     
Most of my plants have to be outside, because we just don't get enough light inside for them to do well.  (Works out well to keep the house cooler, though.)  Of course outside it's just plain HOT this time of year, which means they require a lot of water - and sometimes I think I've given them too much.
 
Lisa returns home tonight, and Tom tomorrow (he's been working in the field in Colorado for the past month) so today is reserved for straightening up the house.  Would be nice if I could just post a sign...

My original plan for today was to drive down to Tucson, and then up Mt. Lemon, to hear the Dreadnutts perform this afternoon.  
Sunday, August 14 - Music on the Mountain featuring The Dreadnutts. Outdoor concert in a festival setting under a big tent on Mt. Lemmon.  Admission is free...just bring a lawn chair!  Be forewarned! The Dreadnutts have guitars and they are not afraid to use them. They also have solid three-part harmonies, a bass and mandolin, and a repertoire that runs the gamut from John Fogerty to the Everly Brothers. Winners of the Telluride Bluegrass Band contest in 1991 and reunited for the first time in almost two decades, the Dreadnutts are once again riding the wide open acoustic spaces of the desert Southwest.
But it turns out to be at least a 3.5 hours drive (one way), a long day without a friend to share it with - and all 'partners in crime' are otherwise occupied today.
May take occasional breaks to try and finish up my BOM - although if that continues the same way it has been going, returning to house cleaning could even seem like fun!
Louise, you know I luv ya, but I could have a few choice words next time I see you at quilting...
Hopefully I haven't scared off the rest of the Foothill ladies - would hate to be the only one who shows up at the next meeting with a Schoolhouse Block!

No comments:

Post a Comment