Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sewing Day

The Foothills group has decided to experiment during the summer months and hold our monthly Sew Day in members' homes on Tuesdays (so we can have an all-day affair yet not conflict with Busy Bees.)  Today Ruth was our gracious hostess.  Her house is lovely, and her artwork - not just quilts, but stained glass, tole paintings, exquisite detailed hand-painted eggs - is displayed throughout. 

Our first order of business was to swap penguin fabrics (Ruth, Laura and I are all penguin collectors) which went swimmingly.  We got some sewing done, and then broke for a delicious mid-morning snack.  More sewing, and then Ruth treated us to taco salad for lunch  - how nice for us that Ruth likes to cook! Afterward we took a tour of her beautiful home.  Then more sewing (I got lots done on my hand-quilting project today) before Laura and I headed back to my house so we could look through my stash for turtle/tortoise fabric she needs. (I was able to find 4, but there should be at least 2 more fabrics that I used in Alex's quilt.)

Although a smaller group than expected (with Louise we were only 4) it was all in all a very enjoyable, productive day (even with all the talking we did!) and I look forward to next month's meeting.  Many of the ladies we knew couldn't make it today should be in attendance in July, when we're scheduled to meet at Linda H's house.
I loved a sign Ruth had up in her (WONDERFUL!) sewing room, and once home made up my own version:

 And here's a sign I picked up Saturday (just in case Tom needs a reminder?)
 All of those tins/boxes on the shelf are filled with leftover fabric, neatly cut into squares and rectangles for my Quilter's Lumberyard, and ready to go!  Of course I still have lots more stuffed into bags and nooks and crannies waiting to be cut and added to the lumberyard stash - and empty tins just waiting to be filled - but that will have to wait for cooler weather since it requires a lot of ironing, and with temps trying to set records this week the thought of adding heat to the house is not very appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment