Saturday, June 11, 2011

Pine Quilt Show

Today was a field trip to Pine for a quilt show.  Patti and I have enjoyed it for the past several years, and usually go on Friday, but she had a previous commitment yesterday so we went today.  Also riding with me were 3 of my quilting friends from Busy Bees: Betty, Carol and Marty.  It took us longer than expected to get up north because of construction on the 101 (3 lanes feeding into 1 tends to really create problems) so the first thing we did was have a delicious lunch in Payson, at Mackey's Grill.  We always stop there, and everything has always been delicious; today was no different.  Then it was on up the road the last little bit to Pine, which was a traffic mob scene because this weekend is also the Strawberry Festival.  (I think next year we'll go back to attending on Friday!)

The quilt show was fun, as always, and I got some good ideas for yet more quilts.  (At the rate I keep thinking up projects I'll have to live a LONG time to even get a fraction of them done!)  One of the my favorite quilts was done by a man:
 Having done counted cross-stitch for many, many years I can appreciate the time that went into this quilt. (Notice the time lapse from beginning to end: 1989-2011.  Now that's a UFO!)
And the workmanship was impressive, as shown by these next close up shots:

This was a sample at one of the booths... what a perfect quilt for a dancer!

Check out this cute Halloween quilt
Did you notice that the witches' legs/feet are 3D?

This delightful wall-hanging with beautiful quilting caught my eye

and this novelty hippie flower-power bus quilt made me smile.
 The black around the bus is the curtain on the background wall, not part of the quilt. Also (it's hard to see even 'close up and personal', but "Love" is stitched in the windows)

Star quilts have always been a favorite of mine, but I never thought of putting a log cabin block in the center.  I will now - it's very effective!

So many lovely quilts - too many to post pix of them all - and definitely worth the drive up.  Truly a delightful day with friends. And yes, I did make one purchase (such restraint!) of fabric.  I think it'll be great in a 4-patch posie.  Watch for it (but needless to say don't hold your breath...!)


No comments:

Post a Comment