Thursday, June 9, 2011

Nesting Robin

Foothills Quilters, one of the two quilting groups that I belong to (and where I am serving as Chapter Chair this year) is doing a Nesting Robin project.  Unlike a Round Robin or Row Robin (where you do one part of the quilt and it keeps getting passed along to the next person for another round or row, so that when it eventually returns to you everyone in the project has had a hand in it) this one will remain at home, ‘nesting’ entirely with one person.  

Some of the ladies have chosen a theme, while others of us are working within a particular color palette.  No surprise to those who know me that I have chosen turquoise and purple for mine.  This Laurel Burch Dancing Horses fabric that I’ve been saving for 'something special' will be used to tie the rows together when I'm finished. I'm posting 2 pix because neither one has the color right.  The first is better with the turquoise, and the second is better with the purple.. but you 'get the idea' (I hope!)
The assignment for our first round/row was ‘traditional’,and I worked up Flying Geese in some different settings.  Here it is at April's Show & Tell on my back porch:  [note to techno-peasants like me - you can click on the picture for a larger, better view]

The draw for the second round/row was ‘stars’, always a favorite pattern of mine.  This time I went with the Friendship Star.

and was thrilled when that row came out virtually the same width as my (random width) Geese row! (Brightness/color in picture is terrible, but I'm going for size comparison here.)
The draw for the third round/row was ‘buildings’ – I opted for birdhouses.  There should be at least 6 or 7 different treatments within the genre when all is said and done, to (hopefully!) approximate the width of my first two rows.  But with Alex’s graduation May 27 (I spent a lot of time on his graduation book), Mom’s visit, and a variety of other excuses, I only got the first 2 houses finished by yesterday’s meeting.  (After the quilt is put together and quilted I'll add some dark buttons for their door holes.)

Yesterday’s draw for the fourth round/row is ‘things’, and my initial inclination is to do the kites that were the April block-of-the-month that I missed when I was visiting Maryland.   We’ll see.  Here's what winner Sharon did with some of her kite blocks:


No comments:

Post a Comment