Tuesday, June 14, 2016

My quads were quite sore yesterday from Sunday's session of Boot Camp, and again today.  So Jim had to dial down the weights on some of the machines, but at least I did get through it.  On the plus side, I also did some squats on the Bosa Ball working to improve my balance (and I have definitely improved), and some cardio on the elliptical, where I kept my speed up and my heart rate (reasonably) down.



After a quick shower I picked up Wanda for her birthday lunch.  We were headed to the Bernina Connection (near Indian School and 40th St.) so we lunched at The Wildflower Bread Company across the street - yummy as usual.  Unfortunately they were out of their exquisite chocolate cake, so Wanda chose peach pie for her birthday dessert.  Nothing Bundt Cakes was right next door, and I picked up a chocolate/chocolate chip one to bring home for dessert tonight.  I've never had the good fortune to sample any of their goodies, but rumor has it <g> that I will not be disappointed.


It was my first time at Bernina Connection, and I saw lots of wonderful fabric.  Always conscious of my civic duty, I made two fabric purchases to help the economy, and also bought the hedgehog pattern for this adorable quilt.  



Back at Wanda's I got to oogle her latest creations, and collect all of the Log Cabin strips she picked up for me at the exchange on Saturday.  She recently 'inherited' a full collection of Arizona Highways which she's been going through, and sent several issues home with me because they contain articles she thinks would be of interest to Tom.



I woke up at 4:00 today so I may not last too long tonight.  However I used my time wisely this morning, finishing up my latest read, Tamar ("a novel of espionage, passion, and betrayal") by Mal Peet. I definitely enjoyed it, as proved by the fact that I had trouble putting it down.

Tamar and Dart are spies who parachute into Nazi-occupied Netherlands during the "Hunger Winter" of 1944. Tamar's mission is to convince Dutch resistance groups to unify under the authority of the British government. Dart is his wireless operator, at a time when a WO's life expectancy in the field is just a few months. Tamar is undercover as a farm laborer sent home from Nazi work camps due to broken health. Dart is disguised as a doctor in residence at a sanatorium. They communicate only with the help of local resistance members, any of whom could be Nazi spies. 
Approximately 50 years later, a teen girl, also named Tamar, inherits a mysterious box from her grandfather. She and her cousin Yoyo take a trip into the British countryside seeking the origins of the Tamar river and the answer to a family secret that has remained hidden for generations. The two stories dovetail in a compelling novel about the legacy of a world at war, binding people across borders and generations.

After finishing the book I worked on my latest charity quilt.
It still needs borders, but it's coming along nicely.





No comments:

Post a Comment