Thursday, June 30, 2016

It was a reasonably uneventful drive yesterday.  Though we were up early it was already quite warm while we packed up the truck. Our first 'crisis' occurred heading out of Flag, when I wanted a milkshake to tide me over until lunch - but McDonald's shake machine was out of order and there were no other places to stop after that.   We tried again in Cameron, when we found a new Burger King... except that it turned out to be so new that it was still under construction.  Finally got my milkshake in Tuba City - where Tom was appalled at the price.

Ran into our first rain in the NE corner of Arizona, and then off and on the rest of the day.  I picked up my first Row By Row quilt pattern in Cortez (honoring Mesa Verde) and then a couple more in Durango, where we also cruised the shops and had dinner at Grassburger. (No pot in them - so named because they are made from grass-fed cows <g>) We spent the night in Pagosa Springs, where finding a room was a bit of a challenge.

Woke up at 2:30 this morning with a horrible headache, but think I did doze off some between then and when I finally got up at 5:30.  Had a nice breakfast in the lobby after I was finally able to get the Tylenol packet open; why do they make them so hard to open? The news was on in the lobby, and the first thing I saw was a blurb about yesterday's dust storm in Phoenix which knocked out power to a couple of thousand people.  

Back in the room I had a surprise when I went to Settings to get on line. Not only was the motel listed, but among several other options was FBI Surveillance Van #4.  No way to know if that's truly what it was - or just a name to discourage folks from trying to access it?

It was pretty nippy out this morning - only in the 60s - so once we arrived at the hot springs I had to bundle up - and finally ended up changing into some winter duds.  And speaking of duds - beginning of June I finally found a light-weight shirt to order for Tom as a sun shield, but when I placed the order it turned out to be coming from Thailand, with only one shipping option of $4.95, and the delivery date was listed as "between June 27 and July 17."  (I've heard of slow boats from China, but not slow boats from Thailand....) Figuring it wouldn't arrive before we left I had it mailed to Terry here, and sent her a heads up.  I didn't expect it to beat us here, but asked her about it anyway... and she got the funniest look on her face.  Turns out it arrived about 10 days ago; she'd been trying to figure out who sent her a shirt from Thailand, and she actually wore it to Denver earlier this week. She was so embarrassed that she'd forgotten about my message (and wore one of Tom's birthday gifts!) that she promptly did a load of laundry.  We've been laughing about it all day.

Tom and I did get in a soak at the party pool before the afternoon rain arrived, and later Terry, Tom and I played cribbage (they both whupped me big time.) More rain is predicted for the next day or so, but then it's supposed to get nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment