Sunday, July 17, 2022

Again I'm a few days behind...



This time of year the irrigation water soaks in fast, so by THURSDAY morning it was already 'too late' to do any more weeding out front.  Of course there's always the jungle, and I was able to pull piles from there.  Despite the shade I worked up quite a sweat even in the 'cool' of the early morning - meaning it just hadn't quite reached triple digits yet.  



I did get into the pool, which was 'only' 90 degrees (as opposed to 93), though it wasn't much of a help cooling off. But at least I got a good rinse.



Tom's brother Jerry (78) is in the hospital in Tucson.  He was moving some propane tanks at his place (in Ramsey Canyon, outside of Sierra Vista), fell - and broke some vertebrae in his back.  


And as if that wasn't bad enough, there were no rooms available so his first day at the hospital was spent in Trauma, and his second (still no beds available) in the ER.  They finally found a bed for him, but (he's not the most cooperative patient) the hospital is talking of sending him home "with some doctor appointments", despite the fact that he is in bad shape (has not taken care of himself over the years) and doesn't have the energy to sit up, much less walk.  Doctor Bobbi says he needs to be transferred to a care facility.    


The July Busy Bees meeting (originally scheduled for this coming week, when I'll be in Flagstaff) has been postponed a week because the parking lot of the church is going to be repaved.   At first that date change sounded like good news, but when I looked at my calendar I realized that I still I won't be able to attend because I'll be having 'fun' with a colonoscopy that day.




I got the pix from the Foothills cropped/resized, then e-mailed them to myself from my phone so I could access them on my laptop and post them to Shutterfly. But while they showed up my phone and iPad e-mail (where they do me no good...) for hours they refused to appear on my laptop.  




After much frustration, at some point I gave up and ran errands: picked up a library book waiting for me, shopped for my required colonosopy meds, and filled the gas tank (to the tune of $81.)



FRIDAY I was back weeding in the jungle, and then did some sewing on the jellyroll sizzle while the house got cleaned.  I spoke to Jan, and she's agreed to take the pix at Busy Bees for me.



Photographer Jeff came by to help Tom with photographing his stones, and I had to snap a pic of his tee shirt.  (He says his wife finds a lot of good ones for him.)  But apparently the computer did not want me to share the smiles, because (again) it took a LONG time for the picture to show up on my laptop's e-mail.



SATURDAY morning I did major hand trimming of one olive tree, resulting in a huge pile, and also  some serious raking.  I also filled the birdfeeder out front, though it was emtpy again before 9:00.



Mary popped over for a visit.  She brought along her cute charity quilt for Busy Bees, and finished hand-stitching the binding while we chatted.


I had to laugh when she told me that when she was looking for something in her quilting room she came across a bag of 60-some finished blocks that she doesn't remember making. 

 

So now all she has to do is sew them together and she'll have another top done.




I had a chat with Rachelle, and my baby quilt was a big hit with Justin and Ash - they loved it.  Rumor has that photos of Mia with her quilt will be arriving shortly.




In the afternoon I made up my block for the Foothills opportunity quilt.  


In order for it to turn out the correct size Ellen had stressed that we need to sew a scant 1/4" seam, but there doesn't seem to be any way for me to scooch my needle over one setting (I checked the instruction manual) so I just had to manually move 'in' from my 1/4 foot.  That meant my seams weren't as straight as they should be - but at least the block turned out the right size!  There were also very specific pressing directions, and it was strange to press toward the white fabric.



In the evening we actually got some rain (!) to go along with the wind, thunder, and lightning.




SUNDAY I loaded the piles of yard trimming and raking into the cans (no worries about them not being full for Monday's pick-up) and helped Creepy do his thing.  No surprise that after last evening's storm the pool needed a fair amount of attention.    I will say that it's frustrating that $2500+ later Creepy still doesn't have enough suction oomph from the new motor to stay flush on the bottom without my help.  It's supposed to be a powerful motor...




Terry called this morning to let me know she found my lizard earrings (which I hadn't yet missed) and mentioned that Shadow isn't doing well.  At first she thought he had just eaten too many chipmunks, but it's been a few days and he's not eating, so he'll be going to the vet tomorrow.  Hope he's okay!!!




I may not have mentioned that during the live music at last Sunday's Celebration of Life Karen made me dance (I'd been just standing there swaying to the music) which was exciting; I had thought my dancing days were over. 



I must admit that I was pretty winded afterward (I'm definitely out of practice) yet during the next song Cheryl insisted that I twirl her around.  


I had no idea that Lily had snapped some photos of me dancing, but this morning she sent them to me.  And while I could view them, the HEIC format does not allow me to do anything with them.  (Alex tried to figure out why the last time he messaged me pix from his phone in that same format, but was unable to and ultimately had to do "something" and send them to me another way.)  


So while I'd love to share them, that's not happening (at least for now.)




Next thing on today's agenda is to give Brownie a bath so he'll be all spiffy for tomorrow's trip to Flagstaff (and his rendezvous with Piper.)  He was excited to go for a ride this morning to pick up my Rx at the drive-through, but "somehow" I don't think he'll be as thrilled with his bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment