Saturday, October 22, 2016

I always enjoy working one-on-one, or in small groups, and yesterday's reading session (my first with Thomas) went well.  (He remembered me as the Word Wizard in his 2nd grade class several years ago.)  There were some moments of distress when it was time for me to leave and I couldn't find my car keys (which were not in either of the classrooms I'd been in, or the library where I tutored, or on the bench outside the library where we waited until the librarian returned from her lunch.)  Happily the keys were in the last place I looked: the school office where I'd checked in.  Obviously they'd slid off my pile of stuff (thermorest and the two bags of books I'd brought to pass along) when I set everything down to sign in.  Crisis averted!



Afterward I made a quick run to the library to drop off 3 books, and browse for a some others.  When I got home there was a message on my cellphone from Cheri, who had stopped by and dropped off the books Myra had borrowed.  The front door was open (our weather is gorgeous these days) so there was only the screen door between Tyga and the 'intruder'.  When I called Cheri back she reported that though she could not see the dog behind the screen she could certainly hear that Tyga took great umbrage at someone coming to 'his' door and ringing the bell.  (Too bad Cheri stopped by during that hour I was gone and missed me; I know that she, having two doxies herself, would have loved to meet Tyga.)



Last night Tom and I watched Burn After Reading, which has quite a few big name cast members.  


A comedy thriller from Joel Coen and Ethan Coen. At the headquarters of the Central Intelligence Agency, analyst Osborne Cox (John Malkovich) arrives for a top-secret meeting. Unfortunately for Cox, the secret is soon out; he is being ousted. Cox does not take the news particularly well and returns to his Georgetown home to work on his memoirs and his drinking, not necessarily in that order. His wife Katie (Tilda Swinton) is dismayed, though not particularly surprised; she is already well into an illicit affair with Harry Pfarrer (George Clooney), a married federal marshal, and sets about making plans to leave Cox for Harry. Elsewhere in the Washington, D.C. suburbs, and seemingly worlds apart, Hardbodies Fitness Center employee Linda Litzke (Frances McDormand) can barely concentrate on her work. She is consumed with her life plan for extensive cosmetic surgery, and confides her mission to can-do colleague Chad Feldheimer (Brad Pitt). Linda is all but oblivious to the fact that the gym’s manager Ted Treffon (Richard Jenkins) pines for her even as she arranges dates via the Internet with other men. When a computer disc containing material for the CIA analyst’s memoirs accidentally falls into the hands of Linda and Chad, the duo are intent on exploiting their find. As Ted frets, “No good can come of this,” events spiral out of everyone’s and anyone’s control, in a cascading series of darkly hilarious encounters.

If you haven't heard of it I wouldn't be surprised, and while it was somewhat entertaining Tom liked it more than I did.


I'm off to Wanda's later this morning to drop off a book of paper-pieced patterns for 12" blocks for her to borrow, and (of course) check out her latest WIPs.  I also want to return the empty brownie tublet (so it can return at a later date all filled up? <g>)



Forgot to mention that home phones, which have not been working well lately (thought it was some of the phones but apparently it's the line itself) seem to have totally died.  Mom tried to get in touch yesterday and says it rings and rings (though not at this end), and after checking I discovered that we have no dial tone.  Mom finally got hold of me when she called my cell phone.  Guess I'll be calling the phone company later.




No comments:

Post a Comment