Wednesday, August 8, 2012

I did manage to stay awake until 11 last night (though admit it wasn't easy) and was glad - I always enjoy the gymnastics.  The men's bar routines were particularly amazing.  But despite Bob Costa's teasers of diving (and I'm pretty sure it was the finals in that event) they never showed it!  Obviously if I'd been in charge of NBC's programming, things would have aired differently...

Alex's day didn't go so well yesterday.  First his car died in the middle of the intersection @ 75th & Union Hills around 3:00 the afternoon. (And while we didn't actually break the heat record yesterday, we did tie it.)  Vapor lock?  Then his first table at work 'paid' with a bad credit card, so their tab came out of Alex's pocket.  And then another table with a large tab left him a tiny tip.  But today's another day, right?

I'm looking forward to a great day.  This morning is quilting with the Foothills ladies, and then lunch with Renee; we became friends when we both volunteered recording textbooks for the blind.  I, of course, haven't been able to do that since December, but one of these days I'll be able to resume.

According to the news last night, 4 of these next 5 days it's expected to hit 113 here.  (That 5th day it will 'only' be 112.)  Yesterday afternoon Alex invited me to 'swim' with him.  Okay, mostly we just floated around.  He's amazed that I can 'tread' water without moving anything - he sinks like a stone.

His theory is that muscle (of which he has lots, and I have very little) is heavy.

Carolyn, after reading my blog, sent me some info on a product she uses called LemiShine,  and says it does wonders for keeping glasses, etc. free of the hard water evidence.  I will certainly give it a try!

Yesterday I got a call from my friend Deb, in Tucson, who has been struggling with a variety of health issues for years.  She had gotten a call that day with the results of her CT test (bleeding in her brain!), and was told to go straight to the ER.  By the time we spoke, she was waiting to be taken to ICU.  She sounded good, considering - and will hopefully call again today with an update.  

And speaking of Tucson, my thoughts are also with Lisa, who has been busy preparing for her first year of teaching.  She'll have 5 classes (30 students in each?) of 8th Grade English.  That's not an easy age for anyone (kids, parents, or teachers) but Lisa "knows her stuff" and I have great faith in her.  Tomorrow is her first day with the kids, so I will be thinking of her all day!
 
And that's what makes it all worthwhile!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment