Sunday, October 9, 2011

Fiber

I found out on Tuesday that (along with a broken toe) I have an LDL cholesterol count that's way too high. (On the plus side, my HDL was a good number.) 
 So it was back for a repeat visit to the doctor on Friday.  One option was medication - but I'm going to try revamping my diet first.  So after my Yom Kippur fast I've started the South Beach diet the doctor recommended.  The book was an eye-opener, and foods I'd thought were 'good' actually weren't.  The first two weeks may be a little rocky (NO FRUIT!?!?) but if (as promised!) the plan reduces my cravings for all the crappy stuff I'll be way ahead of the game.  Who knew that with all the 'fiber' around the house I wasn't getting enough....

It was surprisingly easy last night, at the restaurant, to not dig into the bread basket (bread, along with other carbs like pasta, potatoes, corn, etc., is forbidden these first 2 weeks) despite having fasted for about 26 hours.  I absolutely love bread, and have often said I could live on bread and water. 

The first restaurant we went to had closed and the second was mobbed, with hordes of people waiting outside (it was Saturday night) so we ended up eating even later than planned.    Dinner was a salad with oil and vinegar, sirloin steak, and al dente broccoli, quite satisfying.  (I like my veggies crisp, but had no idea they were truly healthier than steamed-to-death ones because of how fast they're absorbed into the body.)  However will admit that I would have liked something sweet afterwards. 

And here it is the next morning.  I skipped my 'coffee' this morning (mostly sugar and chocolate) and am surprisingly not really hungry.  Will have an egg when that happens.  So I feel like I'm off to a roaring start.  

There may be updates (and whining?) on my food journey... but at the moment I'm off to sew and put some fiber in my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment