Saturday, October 22, 2011

Arizona Quilters Guild

The Fall Meeting this morning was fun, as expected.  We took a slight detour on the way there, but my trusty GPS unit came through for us.  Susan Carlson's presentation on her fabric collages was a foray into a different type of quilting.  I'm so glad she brought a number of her quilts that we could examine up close, because her slides did not begin to do justice to the details in them.  Check her out here http://www.susancarlson.com/Welcome.html

Susan currently lives in Maine, but mentioned in the course of her talk that she grew up in Maryland.  So afterward, when I went by her booth to buy her book, I asked her where in Maryland.  I was a little surprised when she said "Wheaton", which is right 'next-door' to Silver Spring.  I replied "Northwood High School", and then I got a real surprise... she also went to Northwood (although about 10 years behind me.)  Small world! 
 (It's A Small World After All could be one of the most annoying songs ever.  When we took the kids to Disneyland when they were little, I thought Tom was going to have cardiac arrest having to sit through that ride.  And THEN we passed it on our way out that afternoon, and the kids insisted we ride it again. Tom survived... but just barely!)

At today's meeting I also signed up for the Timeless Treasure Challenge, and received my 4 fabrics.  
 I've got to create a 24"x24" quilt using ONLY those 4 fabrics (including backing and binding) although I can add embellishments.  Since the deadline is the end of November I'd "better get cracking", as Dad used to say.  

Of course the first (and hardest!) step is to decide what I want to do... 
I'll 'probably' post updates of my progress... <G>

The afternoon part of the meeting was not quite as much fun.  After show and tell, we got down to the serious business of running AQG, which is undergoing serious issues since the president was recently found to have 'mismanaged' funds and was summarily ousted.  Now the task at hand is to get the books audited, a new board elected, and everything else back on track. 

No comments:

Post a Comment