Friday, December 30, 2011

Now I've seen it!

Just got back from the dealership where Lisa got a demo on how her automatic parallel parking works.  
Amazing technology - but also pretty weird to see the steering wheel turning by itself.  (If you touch the wheel it shuts off the automatic parking.)  Kind of like the first time I went SCUBA diving.  That very first breath underwater was somewhat hard to take as my brain was telling me not to breathe because I was underwater!

I had a fantastic parallel parking instructor when I took Driver's Ed in high school, so parallel parking was never an issue for me.  I just follow the steps he showed me and it's no big deal.  And that reminds me of a parking story...

I also had my college graduation car for my last quarter at college, where there was very limited parking on the street outside the dorm.  One day I got the very last spot on the end, and (not wanting to stick out) pulled up within a couple of inches of the car in front of me.  However, when I came out the next day there was a VW Bug parked (illegally) behind me, with less than an inch of space between us.  Sigh.  It took me at least 5 minutes of inching forward and backward to escape the spot.  When I returned an hour later, 'my' spot - with the same two cars flanking it - was still there.  I knew my camero would fit, and figured I'd at least give it a try.  So I lined myself up with the car in front of me, and breezed right in on my first try!  Found out later that a friend just happened to be watching the entire thing from her dorm room, and of course she was flabbergasted (she didn't know that I knew the car would fit.)

No comments:

Post a Comment