Thursday, August 21, 2014

THURSDAY, August 21

The camper shell was warm and cozy last night - until I got up at 3 am to pee.  Never could get warm after that.  (The woman in the office this morning said it got down into the 40s last night.) Even at 9 am sitting in the sun bundled up it was rather chilly.  Before we left I did get some pix of the 1919 snowplow that Jim said still runs 'just fine".

There are quads everywhere; this morning most of the folks in the cabins and campground were gearing up to head out for the day.  Tom found that there are 7-days-worth of riding trails out of Silverton.  I tried to talk him into unloading the quad (we've been dragging it behind us for more than a month and he's only ridden it once) and taking it out and about, but he didn't want to. Go figure.

We had breakfast at Mattie's & Maude's.  I hadn't touched any flora, but while waiting for our meal I got that horrible (allergic?) itching on my hands, the kind that scratching doesn't help.  After breakfast we wandered up and down Main Street, checking out the shops.  There was quite an eclectic collection of benches scattered throughout the town outside the shops, a number of them made from snowboards.  I especially enjoyed Weathertop Weaving, where the weaver was currently finishing up a piece 'in my colors' inspired by lavender fields.  I saw a stunning beaded necklace in the window of a shop that was closed, and a pretty blue (perfume?) bottle topped by a hummingbird. Outside the museum I spotted more of those intriguing yellow wildflowers. Once I get home I'll try to identify them from my photo.

Heading over Molas Pass toward Durango we passed a road cut landslide where more of the mountain had been undercut by water and looked ready to fall any time.  We also passed another snowplow on its way up.  It did feel like winter this morning... In Hermosa we passed a lumpy rock seeping (hot?) water, and a little 3-car train (engine,car, caboose) that looked like it was going through someone's yard, and the strangest tri-colored horse.

Some Durango signs:
RUFF day? FELINE under the weather? (Sign at veterinarian's office)  
Free rooms - just kidding. (Sign at Alpine Motel)

Had hoped to finally visit the quilt store (by the time we'd get to Durango on our annual trek to the hot springs each summer it was already closed for the day) but finding parking wasn't going so well.  We drove and drove, and by the time we found a spot it was way too far for me to walk - but on the plus side we (finally) got an Alaska license plate.  Giving up and heading out we found a spot, but the meter only took special coins, so Tom stayed with the truck while I walked to the store. Which isn't there any more; not meant to be, I guess. So on to Cortez.

Lunch at the Farm Bistro, which was obviously a local hangout and served delicious food.  I had a chicken salad with 'something' in it that was scrumptious.  And it was right next door to the quilt store, so I got to stop in there again - and bought Panel Play, a book with lots and lots of ideas for all of those panels I've been collecting.  On our way out of town we stopped at the book store (bought Biblioholism) and another quilting store, where Sharleen gave me some advice that may help me with my embroidery machine once I get home.

Heading to Delores (there's a quilt show there tomorrow) we saw more llamas, and a crane by a lake. We visited the Anasazi Heritage Museum.  It's much larger than I remember from my last visit (close to 20 years a ago) - but that may be because I spent most of my time then with the kids in the extensive 'hands on' section?  It's a wonderful museum, and seems to be overlooked by most folks.  Too bad for them!

We're staying in Delores at The Outpost on the River.  Before dinner we took a nice walk along the scenic river where we saw some stumps left from trees felled by beavers.  Dinner at the Naked Moose was so-so, although reading the menu was enjoyable: Crying Moose (blooming onion), Moose Breath (burger with garlic), etc.  

Tried calling Sacred Grounds (in Salida) today to see if they found my missing Thermorest, but there was never any answer.  Will try again tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment