Sunday, August 27, 2017

Mark came down around 7:00 last night,
and provided us with an hour-long concert.


It was definitely thoroughly enjoyed by all three of us!


We didn't know that Mark also plays the piano; usually that's John's "job".  




We also got to hear the story of how he and piano-player John
(they make such a wonderful musical duo!) met here at Oak House.



Afterward we had late dinner.  Chicken and rice are always a winner with me, but the yummy veggie to go along with them was zucchini, picked that day at the ranch garden, then sautéed in olive oil with various spices and herbs, with a little cream cheese added at the end. Topping off our nightly feast was a scrumptious dessert: peach and blueberry cobbler Terry whipped up that afternoon. 


I certainly enjoyed the snap peas, also picked that day.
Every time I walked by I grabbed one for a nibble.


It was too late to start a movie, so we watched an episode of Doc Martin.  Even though Terry was finishing up Season 4 (so I was coming in "at the middle"), it was definitely entertaining.  Going to have to put that series on my List so I can watch all 6 "surly" seasons!


To top off the evening,
we had another "exciting" bed-time episode with Neil.



Today was a late morning - we all slept in.



It was afternoon (though just barely) when I headed up to soak.  After seeing this, I now have a new raft to look for.  (I already have their 'seat' and 'float'.)


Julie and Kim had been enjoying the Party Pool for some time when I arrived.  I had no luck getting something (splinter? cactus spine?) out of Kim's finger - but did get a number of happy shots of them, and with friend Laurie.






Julie told me about her positive experiences with frankincense oil for her skin.  I'm definitely going to do a little more research on that, but it sure sounds good from the little I've already read!  No doubt Kestrel can tell me a lot about it, also.



Returning home, on the path coming down to the house I saw a grasshopper that at first I mistook for a butterfly... until it landed.  Though I followed it for a bit it was not at all cooperative for a photo. But I'm pretty sure that what I saw is a Dissosteira Carolina (also called the Carolina grasshopper, Carolina locust, black-winged grasshopper, road-duster, or quaker) "a large band winged species of grasshopper which ranges widely in North America inhabiting weedy grasslands."



"Dissosteira carolina is one of the largest grasshoppers in North America and is a conspicuous species because of its size, colorful wings, and because it habitually flies over dirt roads and other bare ground. They can be identified by their brownish-black inner wings with yellow margins and a ridge running down the back and because of its large size and rather lazy bobbing flight it is often mistaken for a butterfly."

No comments:

Post a Comment