Sunday, August 6, 2017

Despite the poor weather forecast for the weekend, the weather held yesterday and we took Neil up to the pavilion in the late afternoon for the pot-luck. Steve powered him up in the chair (using the 3-turtle setting; here in the house we've keep it at 1-turtle) while Terry and I ferried the food up in the van so we'd have it for the return trip "just in case" the rain appeared.  It was heart-warming when Neil got a standing ovation from everyone upon his arrival. 


I lost count of how many folks came over to tell Neil how happy they were to see him, and thank him for all his work over the years, creating such an incredible place.



The food was plentiful and delicious, and we had just about finished eating when THE STORM arrived.  It blew in quickly, and dumped buckets of water and fair-sized hail, accompanied by intense blustery winds.  The temperature had plummeted quickly, and it didn't help that even though we were seated well away from the open sides, we were still getting sprayed because of the winds.  Once a fire was started in the large center pit that helped.  It poured for a good half hour, leaving huge puddles afterward (a tent set up nearby had not fared well), but once the wind stopped and sun came out we could quit shivering.  I had dressed warmly (jeans, long-sleeved shirt, and sweater) but was still sorry I hadn't elected to wear my very heavy hoodie.



The auction was a success, and Terry did get in the final bid on my wall-hanging so it's back here where it belongs.  I ended up with a beautiful water-color of one of the pools, and a necklace that Lisa might like.  Today I hope to find out from Rosie the total raised yesterday.


Still dragging from whatever I had yesterday, I chose to stay back with Neil while Terry, Steve, and Elinor & Richard headed up to the pavilion around 8:30 for the music.  (And I was able to hear most of it from down here at the house.)


Jessica and Dave are putting on today's breakfast.  Since they feed hundreds of students breakfast and lunch (and even some of them dinner) at a school in Albuquerque, this is right up their alley.

No comments:

Post a Comment