Monday, July 18, 2016

Last night we watched one of Tom's Science Mystery Theater 3000 DVDs: Teenagers From Outer Space. I thought Steve was going to fall off the couch from laughing so hard, and Neil was mesmerized and so engrossed in it he stayed glued in the chair rather than walking around aimlessly.

During the night the wind had blown one of the doors open, and the cold woke up Steve. There was also a bat flying around (reminds me of the night a 'bird' was flying around in my bedroom, and every time I went to get Dad he was convinced I was dreaming - until on his third trip in to check a bat flew across the room) which Shadow eventually caught and left as a present for me in his usual spot in the bathroom. Since I'd been awake during the night and finally took something to help get back to sleep, it was a late morning for me; Nancy was already here for her weekly time with Neil.

There was an e-mail from Terry waiting for me this morning, saying that Elinor is doing very well (so much better than on her last trip) though it's highly doubtful she'll be ready to leave rehab by Tuesday.

No kids up at the Party Pool this morning, so as I was leaving after a couple of hours up there I was 'forced' to throw the treasure rocks (mostly agates) into the water myself. We did have a deer come down to graze by the pool, though she moved off a little when I got out to grab my camera and shoot her.  And of course I'd already put my camera back away when the squirrel came to nibble the foliage along the edge of the pool. Also met a number of new dogs today, and Lucas was more than willing to have his picture taken.

Before heading back to the house I walked over to check out the new astronomy hut. I'd seen it under construction below the visitor center, and wanted to check it out now that it's in place. Cosmic Mark has some very impressive telescopes, and now that they'll have protection he'll be able to leave them here rather than schlepping them back and forth.  I remember viewing the heavens through them over 30 years ago, and he had an impressive set-up then. Can only imagine what it's like now with the technology upgrades. Tom got to take a peek at Saturn, Mars, the Moon, a double star cluster, etc. the other night, and maybe I'll be able to stay up late enough this weekend to see for myself. Unfortunately it stays light so late here that I'm ready for bed by the time it finally gets dark.

I also got to see the inside of the red van up by the Pavillion since they were packing up at the time. As expected, it was pretty trick inside.

Back at the house for lunch Slim and Tom are hard at it hanging the door, and Nancy has just called from the kitchen to come and get it - I think today's batch of cookies is ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment