Wednesday, October 30, 2013

As you can see, I am back today, having survived subbing at the high school yesterday.  (And no, there was no 'Fidel Castro' in my class, Lisa!)  

It was actually a pretty laid back afternoon, although I did experience a bit of panic <g> when I arrived and discovered that the first class I would be subbing for would be art. (Yes, I still remember my 4th graders cracking up over my stick figure and lollipop tree illustrations on the board.)  Luckily the art students were continuing on a project started the day before, plus the teacher returned from her meeting not long after class started.

That gave me time to visit with Ms. Aroneo (who had a prep period 4th hour) and catch up on things.  She was happy to hear how well Lisa is doing (though of course not at all surprised.)  In fact she's going to be teaching a Creative Writing class next semester, and may just ask Lisa for some lesson plans! 

Then it was off to math class, where (it turned out) there was a student teacher.  So aside from taking attendance, I was free to work along with the pre-calculus students during the lesson.  Proud to say I was able to do the work.  

Mr. Jacklin stopped by during last period to say hi, and hear how Lisa and Alex are doing these days.

We're experiencing a cold front - time for blankets on the beds and socks in the house.  It's 20 degrees colder than just a couple of days ago, quite a shock to the system!
Sadly it also brought winds, and the dust storm near Piccacho Peak (midway between Phoenix and Tucson) caused a horrific accident on I-10.  Truckers said loss of visibility was quite sudden, the worst they'd seen there (and that area gets a lot of dust storms!)  I-10 was shut down in both directions for many hours, and the pictures on the news were sobering; quite a number of semis were involved, with 3 fatalities (so far) and at least another dozen people taken to the hospital.  Be careful out there!

Off to Busy Bees this morning, and then this afternoon Cindy is coming over to work on her t-shirt quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment