Tuesday, December 18, 2012

I woke up around 3:30 this morning, so it was no problem to leave for the hospital at 6:00.  Tom hadn't gotten any sleep (they were in there all through the night, doing various tests) and (more importantly!) hadn't had any coffee (this is a man who can't find the floor in the morning without his coffee.) 

He was due for his next morphine shot at 7:00, so he was a bit cranky.  But the surgeon came in with good news - he rated Tom's risk factor for the surgery at only 1%, which is as close to 'guarantee' as you can get.  One artery is 100% blocked, which was the most likely cause of yesterday's 'episode'.  Since surgery was scheduled for 4:00-ish he did okay coffee as long as Tom finished it before 7:30 - but that was no problem!  The morphine was also administered, and between the two he was a much happy camper.

His main concern was me coming back to the "bacteria laden" hospital after chemo; he finally convinced me to go home instead.  I was pretty tired after only getting a few hours sleep (I need my sleep like he needs his coffee), so the pre-chemo Benadryl knocked me for a loop.  I slept for a couple of hours there, and once home got into bed and drowsed.

The nurse was supposed to call me when they took Tom down to prep him, ostensibly around 3:00.  But when I hadn't heard by 5:30 I called there.  Turns out he's still waiting; the surgeries ahead of him took longer than expected.  

Of course Tom is hungry (and cranky - there's a clock on the wall right in front of him that he says is the world's slowest clock) but I hope to hear soon that things are moving along.  We thought starting at 4:00 was less than ideal, but when Tom suggested postponing until tomorrow the surgeon was adamant that it had to be done sooner rather than later.

In any event it looks it's going to be another long evening, waiting to hear that he's out of surgery and doing well.

1 comment:

  1. We are all praying for you guys and wishing for a speedy recovery. Love you. Hugs. Lavinia

    ReplyDelete