Monday, June 18, 2012

Lovely visit with Sylvia yesterday!
Haven't seen her since January 2010 (her last visit from New Zealand) and naturally (despite e-mail and Facebook) we had lots of catching up to do. Hopefully I will get to see her again the end of the summer when she returns to Phoenix briefly before heading back across the pond.

That morning when I went to do the dishes there was no hot water (which Lisa and Alex each discovered later when they tried to shower.) This was a bit of a surprise, and especially disturbing since we just bought a new water heater a few months back.  
(Remember The Three Stooges Go Plumbing?) 
I was hoping it was something simple, like a breaker, and wished Tom was here to deal with it.  (Gary was also out of town the other day when Patti discovered her water heater spewing water all over her garage - but I digress...)
Anyway, when Sylvia's son Russ (whose business involves fixing up homes) came to pick her up yesterday afternoon she had him take a look. Turned out the electricity was noisily crackling at the plug, and a 'wiggle' produced smoke and an acrid smell. 
 Needless to say Russ immediately unplugged the water heater and also turned off the breaker. I guess my next step is to call an electrician this morning (now that I've already been to get my blood drawn, dropped off books at the library, and had the exterminator here.)  
So much for just kicking back for the rest of the day..  As Dad liked to say:

No comments:

Post a Comment