Thursday, March 12, 2015

Yesterday the phone repair guys arrived shortly before noon (still within their 10:00 -12:00 window) when I had to leave for my quilt class, and Tom said they were here about an hour.  Before I left they had me show them all the phones in the house (there are five) - except I forgot all about #6 on the back porch since we virtually never use that one.  


Of course that was the one that was apparently causing the problem, and no doubt they would have been done trouble-shooting much sooner if I'd remembered to point out that phone. 


It is nice to have the home phone working again (though maybe those guys had some not-so-nice words for me once they realized I'd made their job harder rather than easier...?)



The face-from-a-photo class lasted quite some time, but sadly mine did not turn out very well.  Linda (who was helping Carlyn with the class) agreed that I had the "least effective result", and offered to take it home and see if she could rescue it.  That was nice of her, but I'm not holding out much hope.


  None of the photos I had submitted for Carlyn before the first class were deemed usable, so before this second one, where we would actually be working on the project, I had sent another half dozen - and instructed Carlyn to choose the one best suited for this project. 


This is the photo Carlyn chose, and it seemed like it should have worked.... sigh!


Naturally I left class rather disappointed, but may try the technique again IF I can find a good photo.  Yolanda used a picture of her granddaughter, and her project looks like this:



Linda and I were the last ones to leave class.  I figured at 4:05 on a Wednesday afternoon the post office wouldn't be busy, but boy was I sure mistaken.  


The line stretched almost out the door.  It took me 20 minutes to reach the counter, so I'm extremely glad that I remembered to grab my cane when I headed in.  (Every time I try to use their self-service machine I find myself in an endless loop and ultimately wind up just getting in line, just further back than if I'd just started there to begin with.) At least now Pax's bib is on its way to Pennsylvania, though I'm pretty sure his mailbox is not surrounded yet by flowers but instead covered in snow!



Then it was a quick stop at the store for a few items for dinner, and once home I needed to get that started.    But finally I was able to kick back on the heating pad.



After dinner we watched Sliding Doors, which was recommended for people who enjoyed Mr. Nobody (which we did the other evening, despite never even having heard of it.)  

Mr. Nobody is a 2009 science fiction drama film. It was written and directed byJaco Van Dormael, produced by Philippe Godeau, and starred Jared Leto,Sarah PolleyDiane KrugerLinh Dan PhamRhys IfansNatasha LittleToby Regbo and Juno Temple. The film tells the life story of Nemo Nobody, a 118 year-old man who is the last mortal on Earth after the human race has achieved quasi-immortality. Nemo, memory fading, refers to his three main loves and to his parents' divorce and subsequent hardships endured at three critical junctions in his life: at age nine, fifteen, and thirty-four. Alternate life paths branching out from each of those critical junctions are examined. The speculative narrative often changes course with the flick of a different possible decision at each of those ages. The film uses nonlinear narrative and themany-worlds interpretation style.
Mr. Nobody had its world premiere at the 66th Venice International Film Festival where it received the Golden Osella and the Biografilm Lancia Award. Critical response was generally strong and the film was nominated for sevenMagritte Awards, winning six, including Best Film and Best Director for Van Dormael. The film was mostly funded through European financiers and was released in Belgium on 13 January 2010. Since its original release, Mr. Nobody has become a cult film, noted for its philosophy and cinematography, personal characters and Pierre Van Dormael's soundtrack.

Although I'd already seen Sliding Doors (more than once) Tom hadn't; still, it's a well-done and enjoyable movie, so I had no problem watching it again.



I would have loved to have started off my day today with a soak in the hot tub, but the tree trimmers should be here any time.  Although it was still dark when I got up, daylight was imminent, and we are first on their list today.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment