Monday, March 9, 2015

THURSDAY afternoon I made good time to Havasu, and arrived a little after 3:00. My plan had been to cruise around the quilt store since Tami had to work until 4:00 - except that the quilt store had a sign on its door: "closed for inventory today", which was definitely a bummer! But even worse news... There was also a folder of fliers next to that sign titled "take one", so I did. Turns out the store is closing for good. :(



I had transposed two of the digits in Tami's house number, so when my GPS directed to me there from the quilt store (taking me down streets I'd never seen before) I arrived at an unfamiliar house.  Luckily it was easy for me to spot the right house as I cruised along their street.



I treated Tami and Alan to dinner.  Heading to Barleycorn (where we got a table lakeside) we took the main drag through town.  It was slow going because they had forgotten that every Thursday night is Car Night, and there were street rods parked everywhere. Who knew there were so many in LHC? 


Outside Barleycorn I saw a display of beer posters.  While I certainly don't agree with the sentiment,this one did make me laugh. 



FRIDAY was a lazy morning.  Before I headed off to the festival I checked out their finished back yard, which turned out great.  It was always still a work in progress on previous visits, but Alan certainly did a magnificent job.


I spent a delightfully relaxed day at the bluegrass festival.  I thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful music, and once I finished Pax's Somebunny Special bib I had a good book to read.  


"Lunch" was kettle corn, of course, and I even snuck in a short snooze on the grass in the early afternoon while the bands took a break. 


It was definitely an older crowd (I felt like a young un), which was not really a surprise.  The parking lot was filled with Snowbird license plates from our northern states (Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, Montana, etc.) and at least half a dozen Canadian provinces were well represented.  So it was especially entertaining to see the banners that planes were flying over the lake, advertising Trojan condoms.  In all fairness, Spring Break started this weekend, and LHC is a major destination!  Yes there is water in this picture IF you can find it between the boats...!



Dinner was at Juicy's (everything was delicious), followed by an evening soak in the hot tub while watching the stars overhead.  Surprisingly we saw quite a display of them despite the full moon.


We did some relaxing by the fire after we got out. (If you peek through the fence to the right of the fireplace you can see a sliver of the lake.)


All in all it was a pretty perfect day.



SATURDAY Tami and I dressed in shorts - and were so glad we did. The day was sunny and warm! I slathered on sunscreen, but definitely picked up some color. The Sonoran Dogs played first that morning, a fine way to start the day - and the music just kept getting better and better. 



During the lunch break we wandered down to the water 
and got our feet wet in the lake.




This lil guy was happy playing in the white sand.


I had brought along another cross-stitch project, but my scissors were still in the car with the bib. Until I made the hike back to the parking lot during lunch I would have had to do without - except the woman behind me who was knitting had a pair with her.  Later, on my way back from the parking lot, I stopped to chat with a woman hand quilting outside one of the RVs.  Donna turned out to be one of the women who had arranged the quilt show I saw when I went to the Blythe bluegrass festival in January.

Around 4:00, before the music ended, we had had enough sun and packed up.  On the way home we stopped at the Dusty Rose; there's always fun stuff in there.  (Remember, Mom?)  I did find some things that "needed" to come home with me, but mostly as gifts.  



Alan's sister Linda joined us for dinner (he grilled chicken) and brought her dachshund Oscar with her.  Advanced in years, he wasn't terribly interested in playing with Piper (ear up) and Lucy.



SUNDAY I did not attend the festival.  IF they had offered a 3-day pass discount I might have swung by in the morning.  Tickets were $20 each day, and they did actually offer a 3-day wristband.... 



except that it cost $60... ?!  The 'advantage' would enable holders to bypass the ticket line, but that wasn't really much of an issue.  Since Sunday morning is heavily gospel music and I wanted to be on the road by noon I decided to skip Sunday.



Tami is a Girl Scout Leader, and in charge of cookie sales, which were ending Sunday.  I was relieved to find when I arrived on Thursday that she had no Thin Mints left, which saved me from a possible overdose.



  However throughout the weekend moms were calling, needing to trade cookies for an order, and "somehow" during a trade Tami ended up with a case of Thin Mints.  So a box did make it home with me, where it is currently residing in the freezer.  Out of sight, out of mind?


  
It was a great weekend, and Tami said she hopes I make it an annual event.  Works for me!  Forgot to mention that Tami hosted a shower (wedding? baby?) a few weeks ago, and made everyone troop into the girls' bathroom to look at the custom quilt I made.  I'm also glad to get to see it again whenever I visit.  




Hard to pick a favorite block out of the ten, but if pressed 
I would probably choose Gone Walking.



My drive home was reasonably uneventful.  At one point on I-10 I did pass a car, and when I looked in my mirror to make sure I could get back into the slower right lane I saw a piece of his tire fly out, and then another as he limped over to the shoulder after what was obviously a blowout. Glad it didn't happen a few seconds earlier when  I was right next to him!



When I got home Tom was out back cleaning the pool.  I noticed his jeans, t-shirt, socks & undies, and a pair of shoes drying on the diving board, a pretty good hint that he had fallen into the pool.  Turns out he had been over by the steps getting ready to top off the water in the pool; when he yanked on the hose he lost his balance.  The worst part (I'm sure the water was a tad nippy) was that he landed on his back on the steps, and has a hand-sized scrape to show for it.  In addition by last night he could barely move, so the question now is did he also crack a rib? 


And yes, his cell phone was in his pocket when he went "swimming".  He's had it for a zillion years, and it's been good to him.  But it may not have survived this particular insult!



Now it's MONDAY, and I'm finally getting ready to post after adding the pix.  WOULD YOU BELIEVE that when Tom got up and turned on his phone this morning it worked; he made a test call to my phone and we chatted for a moment. 


That phone deserves a gold star!!!



He's called the doctor, and is just waiting to hear back about whether he has to go in to the office first or can go straight for an x-ray.


Now everyone is reasonably caught up on my exciting weekend.  Guess I'd better get started on all the stuff I need to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment