Wednesday, January 6, 2016

On the way home from Cheri's yesterday I stopped at the library to drop off three cartons of books (Rich periodically brings over books Susie has finished reading, I pull out the ones I want, and 'recycle' the rest for the Friends of the Library to sell) and picked up 2 books that were waiting for me.  (So of course a couple of hours later I got an e-mail letting me know that 2 more books have just come in.)  Currently I'm reading Dead Wake - The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson (after hearing an author interview on NPR) and am finding it informative and interesting.



On the news last night, in 'honor' of the rain, there was a segment from the Bondurant School of Driving about what to do if you skid.  Instead of just saying 'turn into the skid', they actually explained (and demonstrated) that "if the car is skidding to the left, turn the wheel gently to the right." And, of course, do NOT slam on the brakes.  People in Phoenix do not know how to drive in the rain (many can barely manage the rest of the time) so the lesson was long overdue. So far at least it's just been a light rain, so maybe much of it will have a chance to soak in?



I made lentil soup yesterday, and when I was getting it started in the morning Tom did mention it was not one of his favorites - so I was pleasantly surprised at dinner when he got up and served himself a second bowl, announcing it was my best batch yet.  As we were finishing up dinner Alex came by to pick up his package (turned out to be his fancy snowboarding goggles) so he hesitantly tried a bowl, and was surprised to find that he liked it also.  With some cornbread muffins it was a good dinner on a cold, wet night. (And as a bonus it's healthy, high in protein and low in calories.)



Later this morning I'm off to Busy Bees to put in my 2 cents worth on programs for the year.  I'd love to have some bag classes; seems like whenever they've done them in the past are the few times I haven't been around.  I hoping that with my presence today I can get them to wait until after my hand has healed from the upcoming surgery, and also not schedule it for May when I will be visiting Mom.




No comments:

Post a Comment