Tuesday, March 8, 2016

OT went well yesterday afternoon, just as I had expected.  Again I'm "ahead of the curve", and the therapist confirmed that I basically have full range of motion. 


What I need to do (and which I already knew) is improve my strength.  I've got some exercises to do here at home, and will go back there in a week for a check.  But that might be it for actual therapy, although of course it's going to take a while (as in months) for me to fully recover.  


In fact there are a couple of exercises that she doesn't even want me to start for at least another couple of weeks.  



Two of the wrist exercises I need to do involve holding a weight. I did fine with their one-pound weight (it was so cute) but when we tried the two-pound weight I couldn't even hold it.  Unfortunately when I made a Target run afterward to get my own weight for home use (and a whole lot of other stuff) their weights started at 2 pounds. Guess I will need to check at a specialty store.


I'm to avoid any "pinching" type movements (like I did yesterday morning when I held the quilt in my left hand as I sewed the label onto it) and squeezing for several weeks at least.  My thumb exercise actually does the opposite movement, the plan being to build up the muscle in my thumb 'pad' that has definitely atrophied quite a bit.

Also went to PetSmart, where I ordered the booties for Tilly (they didn't have her size in stock.)  I checked the prices on their nail sanders (Marilyn made great progress on Tilly's nails, but they still need additional filing, and of course we'll need to keep it up) but I'm pretty sure I can find one for a lot less elsewhere. At least I hope so!



Tilly was not thrilled about her footbath when I got home, but she was too muddy to come in the house otherwise. I'm hoping it will get easier each time as she gets used to it.  It did go somewhat better this morning - partly because I'm getting better at it?



Colleen called yesterday "just to make sure" that she was doing a math problem correctly while helping Gracie with her homework.  She was!



I was tired yesterday (all those early mornings),
so last night I crashed around 8:30.  


Marilyn had kept me apprised of her progress via text each time she stopped, but I turned off my phone when I went to bed.  She did actually make it home last night (LONG DRIVE!) though I didn't find out until this morning.  I don't remember getting up during the night, and though I woke early I didn't get out of bed and dozed back off until almost 7:00.  Guess all those early mornings really caught up with me.



Off to the doctor in a while (just a routine annual visit) and then will go to the gym this afternoon. A knapper is coming by this afternoon to tour the museum and wants to takes us out to dinner tonight.  So my day is already starting to fill up.


I do need to get going on Sandy's birthday gift so I can get that in the mail in the next couple of weeks. Would love for it to arrive before her birthday the end of this month!


No comments:

Post a Comment