Sunday, June 2, 2013

Yesterday was REALLY  a lazy day.... I didn't even blog!  

I had (sort of) planned to meet Rene at the Socrates Cafe in Sun City in the afternoon... but that didn't happen!  

I didn't even really get dressed yesterday!

(Does it count that I thought of Patti hiking the Grand Canyon yesterday???)

I did, however, sew on my new machine!  As expected, the styrofoam block that was packed around the needle did disintegrate when being removed (and yes, little crumbs did fall into the plate.)  

But (not as expected) removal of the plate was a little different than on my other Brother machine.  Also not expected - Brother uses different size bobbins <sigh> so before I could sew I had to wind a new one (and that procedure was also different from my other machine.) To make a long story short(er), it took longer to get to the actual sewing stage than I expected.

I ironed some of the 'new' fabric scraps I recently acquired (greens, one with dinosaurs on it), cut them into 2.5" strips, sewed sets of three together, and worked on a preemie Rail Fence top.   

My new machine did not come with a 1/4" foot, so lining up to sew required a new attack method.  AND I got to test the seam ripper that comes with the machine on my very first seam (it works just fine, thank you!) because one of the strips turned out not to be 2 1/2" inches all the way along...   

But I (eventually) fell (none too gracefully!) into a rhythm

and this is what I finally ended up with when I decided to quit for the day.

Also caught some wonderful PBS shows, one on hummingbirds (that I'd seen parts of before) and another on lyricist Oscar Hammerstein.

Alex stopped by after work, and we had dinner (Panda Express) together.  He's working long hours, which is really putting a crimp in his socializing.  When I shared one of my stories*, he admitted (!) that mine sounded worse than his!

*As previously mentioned, I 'sailed' through college in 3 years by attending all 4 quarters (translation: including summers), and then went right to graduate school, after which I started right in on my first teaching job.  When interviewing, I had asked about being required to work that following summer (I really, really, really wanted NOT to!) and was assured I would not be expected to.  HOWEVER (there's that ubiquitous 'however' that seems to creep into all of my stories!) as summer approached I was told by the headmaster (John proved in many ways to be a total jerk!) that if I didn't work over the summer, I would not have a job in the fall.  So guess what?  I (of course!!!) worked over that summer. 

Nothing on my agenda for today, so failure is not an option <g>

although it probably would be nice if I got the rest of my trip pix 'in the mail', so to speak. 

1 comment: