Saturday, June 22, 2013

AND I survived Irrigation! (which rarely goes smoothly.)  

Because of my afternoon nap, I didn't crash at my regular time last night.  In fact, I watched TV and then read until well after 11:00.  It almost looked like I'd be staying awake until I needed to schlep up to 35th Ave., but (of course) I fell asleep around 11:30, so only got in 15 minutes of ZZZZZZZ before the alarm sounded at 11:45.  

No trouble opening the Westbound gates (they keep the wheels really well greased), BUT (too often a 'but' when it comes to irrigation) when I went to close the Southbound gate, the wheel would not turn.  (Usually the wheels turn like a dream.)  And because the wheel is horizontal, it's not like I had much leverage, like when trying to loosen electrically 'sealed' lug nuts on a tire by bouncing on the wrench.  

After many tries (I lost count) I was about ready to schlep back to the house and call the Zanjero with an SOS (and who knew if I could even reach him on a Friday night at midnight?!) when I decided to give one last tug, and it loosened enough for me to start turning it.

When I went out back at 2:23 to let the water go, at least everything else seemed fine; all the yards had a full complement of water.  Sometimes I have great difficulty pulling the main baffle up, what with all the water pressure on it, but I was able to wiggle it this way and that, little by little, and was rewarded by a great gushing of water (which hopefully had enough pressure to clear whatever has collected in the pipe that runs under 37th Ave.)

Took a sleep aid when I got back inside and read for a while until sleep overtook me around 3:30, so I was surprised to wake up at 7:30.  Only thing on for today is a haircut with Patti, which I think I can manage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment