Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Yesterday the temperature hit 112 (and it's not going to cool off any time soon... we have Severe Heat Warnings for the next 7 days.)  So how did I spend my day? At Perri's house, learning how to knit socks... not that I'm going to need them any time soon, though it might take me until next winter to finish them?  


It took quite a while to get started, first because I wanted to take a tour of her museum house.  Not only is Perri a wonderful quilter, 


she's an artist across the board (painter, sculptor, etc.), and her wonderful creations were scattered throughout the house, making it a treat for the eyes.  




Here are just a few of her mini quilts:





And some more of Perri's other handiwork:




This graces the wall of her sewing room. 




These beauties are in her bedroom.







By the time we settled in to get started, it turned out that I need two sets of round needles (I'd only bought one) so we had to make a quick trip up to Michael's.  Just walking to the back of the store, both of us saw lots of things that wanted to come home with us - but we were strong!  



Then I cast on much too tightly, so we had to rip that row out (do you see a pattern here?) and finally we decided it would be best if Perri just did that to get me started.  Long(er) story short: it was noon before I was off and running.  It was little confusing at first, but I did finally get the hang of it. 



One it started taking shape (and it became easier to figure out which needle went where) Perri was freed up to work on one of her handwork projects, a small needlework pouch with a mah jong pattern.  She was struggling with it (so it's very doubtful it'll be ready for her to take with her to mah jong tonight), and I asked why she didn't just unzip it all the way to make a flat working surface. <g>  



Glad I never do stuff like that... and if you fell for that one, do I have a bridge to sell you!  It's just down the street from the ocean-front property here in Arizona!



Alex came over in the evening, though we never did go out to dinner because he'd ended up having a late lunch at the mall when he went to buy some clothes for the upcoming EDC concert.  I spent the evening fixing some pants for him (cutting the legs off and turning them into shorts), then making headbands (one for him, one for Tyler) out of the leftover pants legs.  Not a perfect job by any means, but as I like to say 


And he was quite grateful, thanking me over and over.  So it was worth it. <g>



In the late afternoon I'd also finished up another UFO, a Zippy Strippy bag (the front and back were already done, and it just needed a zipper and then the sides sewn up) which I gave Alex to give to Aja (she'd really liked the ones I'd made for Alex.)  No, I didn't take a pic, but maybe Alex did.



Now it's time to see if the lawnmower will start so I can do some more mowing in the backyard before I shower and head off to the dentist!

No comments:

Post a Comment