Wednesday, April 8, 2015

At Foothills today we got to see more portraits from our recent class.  Most (like mine) are not yet quilted, but still very impressive results!  Children, grandchildren, spouses, and pets were all popular subjects. 


Ellen did her daughter.

So did Laura.

Louise M. did her granddaughter.

Louise G. did her grandson.

Jan did her husband.


While Linda gave her embroidery tutorial 



I worked diligently sewing more beads onto my landscape piece; 
the ladies were very laudatory with their comments.



During Show & Tell, Linda showed off a project from a recent challenge.  
She was given fabrics "outside her comfort range"


and THIS is what she created!



Gena's MIL gave her this top to quilt... and then was unhappy (!) with the way Gena quilted it so she gave it back.  We all loved it, and when Gena offered it to the group as a charity quilt we voted to gift it to the church that has provided us with such a wonderful meeting place.


Darlene has decided that she's going to make (future) wedding quilts for her five grandchildren "just in case" she's no longer able to quilt by the time they get around to getting married (her oldest is only 22.)  This is the first quilt.  I've always loved this shadow pattern, and after seeing her batik one I've moved mine higher up on The List.



The potluck after the meeting was delicious (I really want the recipe for Linda's broccoli salad) and despite my worries


 it turned out that I had made enough deviled eggs for everyone who wanted one... two even came back home with me. And speaking of coming home with me - today was also our annual rummage sale, and 'somehow' <g> I found a quilting book and some perfect landscape fabric that "needed" to come home with me.


At the meeting I found out that (sadly!) I will not get to dog-sit for Elmo next month as I had hoped.  Linda and Rick will need to leave for the graduation before I get back from my Maryland/Texas trip.



The potluck finished up early enough so there was time for me to stop at the house just long enough to drop off everything before heading up to the library in Anthem for the 1:30 program by author Jana Bommersbach. 


Cheri saved me a seat, and I slipped in just as Jana was being introduced.  She is an engaging speaker as well as a talented writer, and I thoroughly enjoyed hearing about her research into the writing of Cattle Kate. 


Afterward I bought a couple of her books (which she autographed for me) and also borrowed another one of her books from Cheri that I've been wanting to read ever since reading Cattle Kate.  After the meeting I stopped at Cheri's for a visit - we had a nice long chat - and brought home several baggies of goodies she'd been saving for Pokey.



Today's trivia: On NPR today there was a segment on Hawaiian music; I learned that ukulele translates to "jumping flea" because of how fast the fingers go when it is played.  And now you know, too!



Tonight I watched the excellent PBS documentary Animal Homes: The Nest even though I had it set to tape.  Good thing, because I definitely want to watch it again!  The Nest was the first of three in this Nature series about animal homes.  The second one (airing next Wednesday) is called Location, Location, Location and the third (airing the Wednesday after that) is titled Animal Cities.


No comments:

Post a Comment