Saturday, December 6, 2014

The dog agility trials were a lot of fun, just as expected. 

                     
 They continue tomorrow, so it's possible (depending on how much sewing I get done later today) that I could decide to pop back over again tomorrow.  The park is at Union Hills & 40th Street, a quick jaunt  from here via the Loop 101 to 51.  If anyone is interested in joining me tomorrow, let me know.


There was a box of old Clean Run magazines for sale, and I leafed through a number of them.  Now I realize why I never trained my frisbee-loving dog Echo (1981-1989) to compete in agility, since I know she would have loved it!  Certainly the dogs there today were having a fun.


On this side of the pond, the United States Dog Agility Association only started in 1986, and the first agility Nationals weren't held until 1988.


I did buy a book explaining the rules.  Among other things I hadn't realized (from watching prior events) is that the dogs are required to run naked (without a collar.)  The course was laid out so the start and finish were close to each other, and I noticed a lot of dogs were helpfully picking up their collar/leash after they finished running the course.



Lots of beautiful dogs, like this Aussie named Pan (possibly getting his final coaching before starting his run?)





The border collies, though, seemed to be the dog of choice today.




Plenty of other breeds enjoying the fun, like this boxer.


I didn't get to see this cocker compete; 
bet it would have been fun to watch its ears flapping!



None of the dogs balked at the tunnel


like this poor little guy!



Don't know what this type of tunnel is called


but I sure had a hard time (with the delay on my shutter) timing the click 
before I finally got an acceptable exit shot.



You can see from these shots that the dogs' people seem to be working 
just about as hard as the dogs are!




Bullseye!



The weave poles is one of my favorites, and some of the dogs (especially the border collies) zipped through at amazing speeds.  But the event may not have been this dog's favorite...




On the way home I stopped in at the computer repair store to ask Itamar about the picture folder icons issue, and he found a link that may help.  His suggestion was to 'let' Alex help me actually do it.  (It could happen...)



Then I headed over to The Other Quilt Shop for some bobbins and a spool of black Aurifil.  Turns out the thread is on sale there this month, only $9!  ($13 at 35th Ave.?)
  

Of course Sheri can't stock the full selection (of 270 colors!)
but if anyone just needs a 'regular' color it's a very good deal.  

When I admired the sampler quilt blocks the ladies were working on, Sheri introduced me as" the quilter who made the Mr. Popper's Penguins quilt."  I'd forgotten about the picture she took back in October to share on the store's FB page.  Here's that pic:


 (The sampler quilt that the ladies are working on is on the wall behind me, 
so you can see a few of the blocks.)

Since today is a weekend, the indoor Swap Meet in that strip mall was open.  I went in looking for some kitchen items, but ended up with some lucky bamboo (in the shape of a heart) to replace the one that Alex (more or less) killed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment