Sunday, September 29, 2013

Yesterday was a wonderful day!  

Tom and I got on the road at 7:30 as scheduled, and arrived at Lisa's 2 hours later.  Even though we were 30 minutes earlier than scheduled, she was all ready to go.  And she had my birthday present.  
I love it!  Of course she knew I would.... when she had gotten it (for herself) I had commented (very favorably!!!) on it.  She wasn't able to find another one for me, but she found a different keychain for herself, so I got this one!

After breakfast at Panera's (the Good Egg had a whole bunch of people waiting outside) we headed off for our day on the mountain. Since we were well ahead of schedule, we had time to stop at a small craft fair we happened by.  I didn't buy anything (although was tempted by some earrings) but Lisa and Tom both found some homemade jams that needed to go home with them.  I did test out some beautiful wooden rocking chairs that would be great out back, but since they would not fit into my car <g> I didn't buy one.

The drive up Mt. Lemmon was beautiful, and we arrived in time to get a parking spot close to the music venue.  While the Sonoran Dogs were setting up I shopped at the clothing tent and couldn't pass up this penguin hat that will keep me warm should I make any trips up to the snow country this winter.

And speaking of weather... it was glorious up on top, and not nearly as cool as I expected.  While it wasn't quite t-shirt weather, is was very, very pleasant.  During the first set I worked on a name bib; Lisa was bummed that she didn't think to bring something to work on (like the stack of grading she left behind at home.)

During the band's break we went up to say hi to Peter.  He did not recognize Tom (but after all, it's 'only' been 25 years since they'd last met, when his band Flying South played at our Arizona 'wedding' party...) but he certainly remembered playing that day, and said it was 'the best party' they played at!

I enjoyed seeing the 4 quilts on display at the Mt. Lemmon Community Center that were made to commemorate the fire of 2003, and also chatted with Paul, the fellow on duty there.  We had an interesting chat (turns out he's spent a lot of time hiking and rafting the Colorado River) and I came away with a good limerick.

When idiots, by chance, are bred,
they need to be cared for and fed.
     Asylums are there
     but take money for care.
So we send them to Congress instead!



Cindy and Bill were "right on time" (meaning they arrived late, after the first set.)  We met their friends Maggie and Dennis, who have a cabin up there - and who graciously invited us to stay the night also, although we had to decline.  Cindy and I did get in one dance before we had to leave (Lisa's allergies were really getting to her) which was the usual fun time... although neither of us is as young as we used to be.  We were both (very!) winded when we finished; 'back in the day' we used to be able to dance all night!

I think we started something.... after that, more people got up and danced.  :-)

Once back down the hill,
we went out for dinner at Lisa and Chas's favorite BBQ place.  

Not only has Brushfire been voted the #1 BBQ place in Tucson, but it is also conveniently located just a mile or so from their house.  The food was absolutely delicious, filling (with great sides also), and reasonably priced.  

A quick tour of Lisa's cute little house (which BTW is only a couple of blocks from where Tom lived for a couple of years in the mid 70s and which Lisa and Chas pass by daily) then we headed back to Phoenix. We were both tired and glad to arrive home; I crashed soon after.  Getting up at 5:00 and then having all that fun plumb wore me out.  

Cindy sent me this pic last night of Bill and her with the band
(which I labeled to help you out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment