Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Joni & Joyce were very helpful at quilting today, giving me a 'lesson' on how to do a couple of projects that I needed help with.  Of course being me I did have (a lot of) questions about some of the steps in the process (sometimes the ladies forget who they're talking to!) but I think now I've got it wired.  For one of the projects I need a little bit of chocolate-chip-cookie fabric, which I assumed I'd be able to find easily in the 'food' department at 35th Ave.  Didn't have any trouble finding partners-in-crime (Carolyn and Jan) to make a field trip over there this morning, but would you believe that (despite all their zillions of bolts of fabric) 35th Ave. didn't have the cookie fabric?!  Guess it's out of print.... should've bought it years ago when I saw it!  

I did, however, find a use for my 40% off coupon: I bought the perfect sashing/border fabric for Jeff and Priscilla's wedding quilt.

When I got home I called Kim (who the ladies told me had made several food quilts) thinking she might have a scrap of chocolate-chip-cookie fabric leftover, and guess what?

Kim's got a narrow strip that sounds like it will be just perfect for my needs, and she's going to pop it in the mail for me.  I have a funny story about some chicken fabric I gave her a while back.  And one of these days when I'm at a loss for 'news', maybe I'll share it with you.  Sharing is good.

After lunch I thought I'd head over to Walgreen's and get my flu shot.  It turns that unlike Mollen (who ran the clinics at the grocery stores, but due to cutbacks won't be doing that this year) Walgreen's doesn't have an arrangement with AETNA, so I had to shell out $31.  (I really wanted to get my shot ASAP, and no place else seems to be advertising yet.)  Then I had to wait (a long time) for them to print out the paperwork for me, which I diligently filled out.  Every box on my form ended up marked 'NO', although in the box that asked if I'd had any immunizations recently I did make a notation about Monday's cortisone shot.  Then I handed in my paperwork and waited.  Of course since I'd had the foresight to bring my book and thermorest in with me, I didn't really mind waitng.  

But when they finally called my name it turned out that I have to wait 4 weeks to get my flu shot because of the cortisone shot; something about an interaction between the two that will prevent the flu antibodies from doing their (necessary!) thing.  So here I am back home again an hour later, but flu-shot-less.  So much for getting ready for flu season as early as possible.

This morning I had swept the back porches before I took my pre-quilting shower; the recent downpours really cleaned off our roof, leaving what seemed like buckets of dirt behind.  Then this afternoon I hosed the porches off, and we're spic and span and ready for the exterminator tomorrow.

Thought about going to the gym today, but by this time of day (mid-afternoon) 
I'm usually in a slump, so don't think that's going to happen.

Think I'll grab the water and my book and stretch out and (maybe) finish my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment