Wednesday, July 29, 2015

After dinner last night I was called away from the dishes to "come look at this", which turned out to be a doe on the rock wall outside the kitchen.  While that in itself is not that unusual, the fact that she was lying down was.  But before I could grab my camera Tom arrived at the gate and the doe decided to move on.

Tom's rock-collecting yesterday near Lake George was not terribly successful, but it was beautiful where he was and as a bonus the wild strawberries were plentiful and at their peak.

When Neil had gone walkabout last evening (looking for Terry to return from yoga) we ended up outside the visitor center where folks were gathering for the evening hike to the bat cave.  There was some sort of medical emergency happening on the porch, and during our dinner later we saw an ambulance, lights flashing, heading out.  This morning I spoke with Scot (who is running some of the bat tours, though as it turns out not last night) and he said that Larry, who does some of the astronomy workshops here, had started to feel ill after dinner and his blood pressure had sky-rocketed.  

I woke up around 6:00 this morning and was in the swimming pool not long after 6:30, so I was able to finish my 1/2 mile before anyone came to drain the pool. Relaxing in the Apple Pool afterward I was recognized by Craig; he remembered me from last year when I filed down a nasty sharp tree root that had the nerve to grow right in the middle of one of the paths.



Also at the pool was Sophie, with her people, Elizabeth & David.


Sophie's 10, but still quite spry.  David said Sophie hiked a 14-er with him last week, and did great.


Not all dogs are such good mountain climbers.  The other day, when I was leaving the Party Pool, a woman was having a 'discussion' with her little dog which had planted itself firmly at the fork in the path there.  It was quite obvious that the dog wanted to turn left to the party pool, and not right.  Turns out the woman was just headed to the Waterfall Pool, a short minute-walk on the level path.  But that path also leads to the top pool, where they'd gone yesterday.  That trail is a very steep 1/4 mile climb (that feels much longer!) which the dog obviously remembered and did not want to repeat!

As long as my camera was handy <g> I snapped some more photos around the pool.  I think this is a columbine flower.


And the light looked great for some additional pix of the Mexican Hat coneflowers.  First I snapped this one.


And then I noticed the shaft of sunlight, and snapped another hoping to catch it. I did!


No comments:

Post a Comment