Thursday, May 21, 2015

We really got quite a thunderstorm last night, with intense claps of thunder, bright flashes of light, and heavy rain on the roof.  I went back to sleep so I wasn't sure how long it'd lasted, but apparently quite a long time; it kept Marilyn awake for hours. So it was no real surprise on our walk this morning to find that the creek was running much deeper across the road.  That made for a soggy hike, with soaked shoes and socks, but I survived... though my feet were definitely pruned out by the time we got back.  I did (finally) get to see the hummingbird nest today. 

Frannie was on a leash most of the walk (so she wouldn't be able to anger whatever she'd discovered yesterday) which also meant she couldn't chase a doe that appeared out of the brush right in front of us; hard to tell who was more surprised. We took a different route today, towards the end of the ranch road, and visited with a couple of the neighbor's horses.  Despite being in a huge pasture carpeted with thick, tall grass, they came right over to the fence and gladly ate the (same) grass Marilyn pulled from our side of the fence and fed them.  Reminded me of my horse in Supai, who was living inside my yard (which I watered, so it had an abundance of wonderful green grass to munch) yet one day I saw her craning her neck over the fence into the barren field on the other side to get at a teeny tiny weed barely within reach. Obviously the grass (and weed...) is always greener on the other side! Sure would have made a great photo.



All packed and ready to fly home tomorrow.  Certainly easy when there are no decisions... just stuff everything in.

No comments:

Post a Comment