Tuesday, May 26, 2015

I did get a little unpacking done this morning, and then stopped in at the library to pick up my book on hold before heading to the chiropractor for my tune-up.  He took me about 10 minutes early, which turned out to be a good thing for the next patient - because he spent a half an hour with me.  Lots of things out of alignment, and it's amazing how a pain in one spot is caused by something out of whack way-the-hell elsewhere in my body.  He certainly knows his stuff, and I felt much better by the time I walked out of there.  And yes, as expected, he was very approving of my new shoes, the exer fit sandals Marilyn "made" me get.



By then it was lunch time, so I decided to treat myself to lunch at Mimi's right nearby.  Soup & Salad (French Onion, and Caesar) is always a good choice for me - and at Mimi's  it came with a decadent blackberry muffin that made a perfect dessert.  So I stuffed my face while I dived into my new book, At The Water's Edge, by Sara Gruen.  Certainly captured my interest right on the first page.


Fully sated, I was then ready to run some more errands on the way home.  First, I got off at Bell to look for the store at 100th Ave. that Jean Allen had recommended to Carol.  Turns out it's called ViewFinder Low Vision Resource Center, and their mission is "to improve the quality of life for those who are visually impaired through awareness, resources, and solutions." I did find it, but was quite surprised at the price tags on the lighted magnifiers.  I do understand that these are quality optic devices, but still...!  At least there's a two-week return policy, so if the one I chose for Carol doesn't work I can bring it back.  (There were ones with higher magnification, but as the magnification increased the size of the lens decreased; plus the angle of the handle made the one I chose easier to use.)  Of course it's always better if the user can come in to the store and try things out there - but that isn't an option for Carol at this point.



I'd forgotten that Sun Valley Quilts is at 98th & Bell, so I hadn't brought along the turquoise gecko fabric with me to try to match the color for the rest of the backing.  NONE of my (many) turquoises work, and neither did the any of those at 35th Ave. (which has a huge inventory) so I am not going to buy anything without matching it first.  But (of course) I did not walk out of Sun Valley empty handed.  I found a fabric on the $6 sale shelf that will be good "for something"


and also a couple of happy batiks (20% off) that I really liked.



Next stop was BevMo, to pick up a bottle of wine for Wanda's birthday.  Although I know her favorite is Cabernet, after that I had no idea how to choose one.  Since apparently most folks choose by price, the clerk there really got a chuckle out of my method - I told her I wanted one with a pretty label.  That put a smile on her face, and likely will also amuse the rest of her co-workers.  She admitted that was not a wine selection method she'd ever heard of before!


How'd I do?
(I think a quail is quite appropriate - we see them here all the time!)



I was headed to the gas station after that, but a few miles before I got there my gas light came on.  I don't usually let the tank get that low, so it's nice to know the warning light actually works...


No comments:

Post a Comment