Friday, November 4, 2011

Weekend Plans

Today I'm heading to Lake Havasu City to visit Tami; tomorrow we'll do the (9th) quilt show put on by the Havasu Stitchers.  (So on Sunday, check back for pix of some of my favorites.)  

Tom and Alex will have to hold down the fort here without me.  
As a geologist, Tom traveled a lot when the kids were growing up.  When Lisa was a baby, she couldn't understand why Daddy kept disappearing (he worked 10/4, which meant he was home every other week for four days.)  When he would first get home, she'd scream bloody murder if he left the room.  Just about the time she'd start to feel comfortable that he wasn't going to disappear, he'd leave again for ten days.  Poor baby.  Tom would 'talk to her' on the phone each night, but I doubt she really understood that.  Once she got a little older, before he'd leave again we would make a 'Daddy Chain' out of colored paper, one link for each day. Each night at bedtime we'd take another link off, so she could 'see' him getting closer.

I hadn't planned to leave for LHC until this afternoon (Tami won't get home from work until around 4:30) and had hoped to get some quilting done.  But storms are rolling in and they're predicting very high winds, with resulting dust storms, along I-10 this afternoon.  Several years ago I got caught in one of those storms - very sobering to see a huge, dark cloud approaching!  Afterward, I passed a couple of overturned semis just up the highway a bit.  So (discretion being the better part of valor) 

I'll probably head out of here mid-morning  in an effort to avoid those problems!



No comments:

Post a Comment