Thursday, November 10, 2011

Cindy's visit

I had a delightful afternoon today with an old friend.  Cindy really enjoyed our delicious (and healthy!) lunch. I know because she asked for the recipes.  <g>  All were things I had made (multi-bean soup, tabouli, and spinach salad.)  Then I regaled her with my quilts, which was the main purpose of her visit.  She had such nice things to say about them, and of course it's always nice to hear such compliments about my work.  As a bonus I found some things I had been looking for, and got jazzed up to start back on some UFOs that aren't that far from completion.

Cindy also brought over t-shirts of Matt's and Emily's that she's been saving, and I'm going to make quilts out of them for her.  I'm looking forward to having fun with them.
 
Even though Cindy still lives in the (far west) Valley, 
we didn't manage to get together for years (and years!) despite the best intentions.  

However in the past few months we've seen each other three times, 
so it looks like we've finally broken through a barrier.
And here's an old story about Cindy that proves how well I can keep a secret.  
Cindy and Bill had been living together when he got a new job in Phoenix.  She had to stay in Kingman and finish out her teaching contract, but couldn't afford the apartment on her own, so she moved in with me for the rest of the school year.  I had a two-bedroom place all to myself, and it was fun having a roomie.  
 We were about the same size, so that doubled our wardrobes.  PLUS Cindy liked to cook (and we all know how I feel about cooking!) and I was happy enough to be demoted to 'just' dishwasher - although she often managed to use every pot and pan and utensil for every meal.  But I digress from the story.
Bill had asked me to find out Cindy's ring size because he was planning to ask her to marry him and was having an engagement ring custom made for her.  (That part was easy enough - I just admired one of her rings, and asked to try it on.  When it fit me perfectly, I knew we had the same ring size.)

Now it's a couple of days after Bill has moved to Phoenix, and Cindy hasn't heard from him.  He was busy finding a new place to live, starting a new job, and - oh yes, he's a guy - and she was falling apart.  "He doesn't love me any more!" she wailed.  I tried to assure her that he hadn't forgotten her and was just busy, but as upset as she was I was really afraid she might do something crazy.  (I was really glad there weren't any bridges in Kingman!)  I finally got hold of Bill and told him he absolutely needed to call her RIGHT NOW!   And of course once he did she calmed down considerably.  The happy news is that they did get married not long after, and remain so to this day.

AND I never spilled the beans!

No comments:

Post a Comment