Saturday, September 24, 2011

skiing, anyone?

At the risk of jinxing my progress, thought I'd mention that my foot discomfort finally seems to be lessening. It's now more of an ache than a pain.  Possibly it's taken longer to heal than usual because it's the same foot that I injured skiing some 40+ years ago?  Ah yes, another story.
  While in college (outside of Chicago), a boy I was dating invited me on a skiing trip his fraternity had arranged.  A bus would take us up to Wisconsin for a day of fun in the snow, and lift tickets, ski rentals, etc. were all taken care of.  (Too bad there wasn't a lesson thrown in.)  I had never seen a ski slope, or even a pair of skis, but it sounded like fun.  My date had never been skiing either, so he wasn't going to be much help 'teaching' me the fundamentals, but we bravely set off.  

Getting up the mountain was quite a feat in itself but we made it, although I'm sure my (lack of) prowess on the rope ski lift was quite a sight to see.  Once at the top, we gave ourselves a push, and off we went - in a straight line for the bottom.  Of course I had no idea how to slow down or stop (let alone 'steer'), so it's a wonder I didn't run someone over.  The afternoon progressed in a similar manner, until there was time for 'just one more run'.  (It's always that last time that gets you, right?)

On the way down I hit a patch of ice and went down, somersaulting across the slope - and my bindings (which apparently were supposed to come lose in just such a situation) stayed firmly attached.  

Luckily the Ski Patrol was able to collect me and take me down to the first aid station in the lodge at the bottom.

The lodge had a huge picture window overlooking the slope
 and when they brought me in the folks there simply said, "We've been waiting for you."  Obviously I had been their afternoon's entertainment!

 And that's how I ended up on crutches.  

But it's partly my mother's fault 
 because she knew I was going skiing, and right before it happened she made some sort of comment to my dad to the effect that "we haven't heard from Bobbi, so I guess she won't be coming home on crutches." 
You'd think I was accident prone or something..... <G>

No comments:

Post a Comment