Sunday, April 15, 2018

Yesterday I thoroughly enjoyed the AQG Spring Meeting.  The featured speaker, Jackie Kunkel, was entertaining - and her trunk show of stunningly beautiful quilts was inspiring!  Maybe she never sleeps?  She'd brought along a lot of the quilts from her book (which I'm pretty sure I already have.)


Of course <g> I took photos of each quilt, though aside from uploading them from the camera to the computer I've done nothing else with them so they're not ready for sharing yet. 


Did admire this quilt on display in the room, which unfortunately had no information along with it, though it may have been one of the group's raffle quilts?  It did give me an idea for an easy-to-construct landscape quilt, maybe adding some green for foliage along the water's edge...



By the time I'd arrived (so many ladies in attendance I had to park almost in the next county) tables with Busy Bees and Foothills ladies were already full.  They did offer to scooch and squeeze me in, but instead I found room at another table and easily made new friends.  The goodie bags at each place setting for the attendees were cute, and included either a fabric cupcake or lollipop.



Although I'd already eaten some breakfast at 'home', I did enjoy the continental breakfast that was set out (and the lunch they provided was also delicious.)  After lunch the drawing was held for the wonderful raffle prizes (including a sewing machine, two stunning quilts, a stay at a resort, airline tickets 'to anywhere', etc.)  I'd bought $20-worth to help support AQG, though didn't win anything - and unfortunately neither did anyone else in attendance so sadly we never got to hear/see any excitement at winning.  


The business part of the meeting was held after lunch (still need a President for the next term, which starts July 1!) which was mostly enjoyable.  Last month's auction at the quilt show, with over 100 quilts offered, raised over $4,000. (I did jot down the exact amount, but left everything from the show in the car.)  


Half of the money will go for AQG programs, and the other half
will be split between two very deserving charities. 



By the end of the meeting my back was talking to me about the length of time sitting in those straight chairs, so I took it for a walk in the rear of the room during the last part of the meeting.



After the meeting broke up (and before heading home to 'rescue' the girls) I did stop in at the two local quilt stores (anyone surprised?) At one I found a border fabric in colors that I'm thinking should work for my Scrap Mountain project.  



The pooches were thrilled to see me (and be let outside, and then fed their afternoon half of food), and I was thrilled to stretch out on the bed and give my back a break.  When my phone rang a bit later I assumed it was Mom (we'd sort of arranged a phone call for the one that didn't work on Friday) but it was Laura, asking if I wanted to join some of the ladies in town for dinner.  Between not wanting to sit any more, plus worrying about when dark would fall, I had to decline.   



Spent a quiet evening (watched a Netflix, and read my book Burning Shield, about Jason Schechterle) and then crashed early.  Good thing, because the girls got me up a rather early this morning.  (No, it was not light yet!)



Alex called yesterday with sort-of directions to the beach house in Parker for today.  With no actual address, the plan is for me to give him a call when I'm close - at which point he'll come meet me to lead me the rest of the way there.  I'm looking forward to watching him (and his friends) wake board today before driving the rest of the way home.



Lisa called Friday afternoon (when I was heading into town to gas up and get a few groceries) so I got caught up on things at her end.


No comments:

Post a Comment