Friday, April 13, 2018

Thursday morning I swung by the library to pick up the three books that were waiting for me, and also ended up grabbing a book of poetry from a table display.  I'd leafed through several of the offerings, but that was the only one that spoke to me - with Alex in mind.  If they'd studied poetry like that in high school, he (no doubt!) would have enjoyed it a lot more. <g>



Marcie was taking me to lunch (in exchange for me taking her to the eye doctor later) so it was my choice.  The first restaurant I thought of was the one Linda had introduced to me (conveniently located near the eye doc) but couldn't find it - and Linda wasn't home to field my phone call.  Next I aimed for The Elephant Bar - which has closed! We ended up at Abuelo's, which was as good as ever.  I brought in the poetry book to share while we waited for our food, and Marcie found it as funny as I did.  Definitely need to get a copy for Alex as one of his fun Chanukah gifts later this year. 



Next task for to find some patio loungers for Marcie's up-and-coming backyard.  She'd already looked around on-line, but hadn't found what she was looking for.  With comfort being the main objective it made it more sensible to do it 'in person' anyway.  I found this one, which has wheels on one end to make moving it much easier - and this matching table.  And then the salesman did a very impressive demonstration with red-colored water.  Sold!   So the patio furniture shopping segment of our day was successful.  (And apparently I'm a "much better shopper" than her husband.  Translation: know what we want, find it, and be done.)


The next stop, at Penney's in the mall for some replacement Easy Spirit shoes, was not so successful.  They didn't have the pattern I'm looking for in stock.  Thought about getting some plain ones, but they didn't have the color I liked in my size.  So I'm back to having to order them, hoping they'll arrived before I head to Maryland.


Still with over an hour to kill before Marcie's appointment, we strolled over to the Apple store.  Even though I didn't have the 'new' iPad with me (forgot to bring it to entertain me during Marcie's eye appointment) I thought I'd look at the possible covers.  Not only is the one currently on it rather bedraggled, it doesn't seem to shut off the unit when closed (like my other one does.)  Turns out it could be one of three issues, but of course until they see the iPad itself we won't know.



After the eye doctor (was glad I had a library book to read) it was a quick stop at the bank (I'd given the last of my cash to Alfredo, who came by that morning to mow the ditch before irrigation) and the gas station (now I'm all tanked up for today's drive) before heading home.



It was WINDY yesterday (with more of the same predicted for today) so I wasn't surprised to find the pool, deck, and porches littered with debris, and my Mexican bird-of-paradise container tipped over on the front porch.  We'd been seriously blown around every time we got out of the car, and through the windows at the doc's had watched the bushes waving insanely.  Neither was it surprising that weather was the lead story on the local news last evening, though I was a little surprised to hear the numbers: 70 mph in places around the state.  We didn't have too much of an issue with blowing dust/visibility, but in places I-40 and I-10 had to shut down.  I did collect a whole bag of downed lemons, and easily filled up the 5-gallon bucket with stuff scooped off the top of the pool, but no doubt today's winds will send more down.



We weren't the only ones with wind.  From Puerto Penasco Alex posted: 
A little too windy to launch the boat this morning but still hammered the fish from shore 



Sitting in too-tall chairs at the doc's office (my feet barely touched the ground) didn't make my back happy, so once home I stretched out on the couch and watched TV.  I was also tired, so put off packing and instead read until about 9. I was up a little earlier this morning than I had hoped - about 5:00 - but now have plenty of time to pack (after I finish with irrigation) and then be ready to leave around 8.


Almost time to let the water go.

No comments:

Post a Comment