Sunday, November 12, 2017


First thing this morning I made a Target run for cabinet liner - the rubber kind with holes that lets glasses/mugs breathe.  Also picked up a different kind for the drawers that will store the pots and pans that's a major improvement over the sticky Contact Paper from the old days, though I'm going to wait to do those drawers until after the counter tops go on.  But the exciting news is that now the glasses and dishes are unpacked and living in the overhead cabinets (and we also have two less boxes to stumble over in the old computer room!)  See my big smile?



I’m looking forward to getting the frig and oven/microwave tomorrow, which will make us even more functional.  This time last week we had a naked room, and now we have cabinets and a floor, so it’s been quite an exciting week. Of course after tomorrow’s delivery we will transition to the Wait Mode until the counter tops make their appearance “sometime after Thanksgiving”. 



Today in the sunlight I noticed dollops of wax on the tiles (probably to keep the tiles from scratching each other in transit?) and though they came off easily enough with just my fingernail they left an oily residue behind.


Long story short: I've tried Dawn dish soap, spray kitchen cleaner, Lime-Away, vinegar, acetone (!), and Marcie even brought over her hot steam-cleaning mop, but even using a bristle brush and lot of elbow grease, nothing is working.  I called the tile store, and (after talking to three different people, telling my sad story each time) discovered that other people have had the same problem.  The guy said that the only thing that seems to work is denatured alcohol, which apparently I can get at Home Depot.  Guess where I'm headed tomorrow?



Tried to attend class this afternoon, but the battery in my mouse decided to die.  Since batteries usually live in one of the kitchen drawers they are currently "unavailable" at the moment I couldn't easily remedy that.  Wanda was kind enough to bring one AA for me when she came by this afternoon to check out our kitchen progress - she loves the tile and cabinets - so I'm up and running again. 



Wanda brought along her latest quilt to show me.  Last time I saw it was when we went to lunch about a week ago; the blocks, made from fabric she dyed, were up on her design wall so she could decide how to sew them together.  Not only is the top done - it's already back from the quilter! It turned out beautiful (of course - this is Wanda we're talking about!)  She doesn't like doing the binding, so I've offered to do that for her.  And that was even before I knew she'd make me brownies!



Joy called this afternoon to see if I'd e-mailed her the pix from Wednesday's program so she can include them with our blurb for the AQG Chatter.  I totally spaced that out, even though I did resize, crop, and post them to the Foothills site right away, and showed them to Wanda today. 



Just too much going on?

No comments:

Post a Comment