Saturday, April 27, 2013

I was awake (pre-alarm) around 4:00 this morning so there was no problem being ready to head out for the airport at 5:30. First wrinkle of the day occurred on I-17 when we encountered lots of traffic, prompting Tom to wonder where all these people were going so early on a Saturday. Then we read signs that said "3 left lanes closed ahead" - turned out they were preparing everyone to exit at Cactus, which of course had us wondering if we'd make it on time. But we were able to get right back on - looked like they just chose today to install new lights at that exit. A little further on another sign advised that the entrance ramp to I-10 west was closed because of an accident (which indeed looked very nasty) but since we needed I-10 east that one didn't impact us. There were no more adrenaline rushes during our drive and we actually arrived at the SWA curbside baggage a few minutes ahead of schedule. There was no one in line so I had plenty of time to fill out a card and pop it into the only mailbox at the airport. At this point I headed for my gate. There was no line at security which turned out to be a very good thing, because when I got to gate B16 I found myself at the wrong place... It was a USAir gate...I had been looking at my boarding number! By the time I raced over to the SWA gates (naturally not terribly close) they were already boarding the A numbers. But all's well that ends well. Not only did I get the seat I wanted, but the middle seat remained empty, which is always nice. There was considerable turbulence (at times the flight attendants had to take their seats) but on the plus side we arrived early. And as Tom predicted, my lunch (smoked brisket, strawberries and cantaloupe, celery sticks, and cookies) was probably the best food on the flight. The only thing I was missing was a chocolate bar; Tom's seemingly unending stash of large Hershey bars apparently ran out a few days ago. (I would have had time to stop to pick one up if I had paid attention and gone to the correct gate to begin with, so I have nobody to blame but myself.) We also had a couple of poopies in the cabin, sharing a small kennel with great mesh visibility. Reminded me of all the times I flew with Echo, although she was way too big to be allowed 'upstairs' with me. I'm happy to report that my luggage made the same trip I did, and Mom pulled up at the curb about a minute after I got out there. Good dinner and now nothing left to do except make up my bed and relax the rest of the evening. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment