Tuesday, August 23, 2011

De-Cluttering

Yesterday I started in on my desk.  I used to use a beautiful oak desk that I bought in 1980, when I lived alone and my life was Neat & Orderly.  However even with a shelf added it got overwhelmed in the 90s once it was responsible for an entire family.  

Sometime during the past decade the hubby got tired of looking at the mess and bought me a roll-top desk, his ulterior motive being to hide the towering piles.  That worked great as far as closing it up to hide stuff, but didn't solve the problem.  Since I could no longer see the mess, there was little (okay, no) incentive to deal with it; it merely got fuller and fuller until its only function was to be crammed with more stuff I didn't want to deal with.  The person who owns this desk has similar issues, although with smaller piles...

My daughter 'inherited' my wonderful desk, so until she left for college she had 2 desks in her room for her piles of stuff.  After she moved out one of those desks eventually migrated into my son's room, where it has also attracted massive piles of stuff.  Maybe there's an Evil Desk Genie living in our house... 

ANYWAY, I started in on my desk.  First plan of attack was to weed out old papers from the drawers (to make room for some of the stuff piled on top) so I grabbed the shredder and folders and got started.  
I'm a little embarrassed to admit that various financial folders went back almost ten years - but hey, you never know when you're going to need some of those records, right?  I am proud to report that now (despite having to stop several times to let the shredder cool down) those folders only hold info from the year 2011.  It looks possible that one drawer will soon be in great shape, making room to relocate some of the stuff piled on what used to be a working surface. 

No comments:

Post a Comment