Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Yesterday I helped Terry replace some of their 30-year-old window screens in their frames, and the ones we got done (before running out of screening) of course look much better.  (Kids and animals can be hard on them....)  She had a handy dandy tool, and an easy method (at least with fiberglass screening) so now I know how to do it!  


Use convex nylon roller end to roll screen into slot of screen frame. 
Use concave nylon roller end to roll plastic spline into place. 

Today when we were in town we made a stop at the hardware store, 
so tomorrow the rest of the damaged screens should be replaced.



On our way into town we stopped at Elinor & Richard's, and both of them were still home (he was just getting ready to head to work) so I got to gift them the quilt. They really liked it!

  



No time for a better pic today (maybe of them on the couch with it?) since he needed to head to work, and she was taking the car and trailer into town for servicing.  But there should be plenty of time for that.



On our way out to the highway, Terry slowed to see if we could spot the burrowing owls. Sure enough, one of the adults was perched on the fence post by the road.


When I zoomed in, it appeared as intent on watching us 
as we were on watching it.


And this was likely the reason.  On the ground between the fence post and the car were these five outside their burrow.  The other parent and four kiddos?



We got a lot of errands done, though I had no cell reception in town and many businesses had no WIFI since the fire has taken out a tower.  In fact the restaurant where we had lunch, Fritz's (after picking up Elinor at the car place to join us) had a sign "warning" that because of the outage it was cash only.



My special burger was delicious, though I did need to send it back after the first bite for additional cooking.  The waiter had asked how I wanted it cooked, and I'd told him well done (for safety reasons) but it was definitely pink inside. 



There was a lot of lovely, fun artwork, painted by a local artist, adorning the walls. I spent my meal looking at this giraffe.  For some reason <g> I thought of Mom.



And did chuckle over the sign pointing the way to the restrooms:



More errands after lunch, one of them a stop for Terry to order new glasses.  Right next door was a chiropractor, with this appropriate sign:



After our final errand at the grocery store we headed home, arriving home around 3:00 and finding that the hummingbird feeders were empty.  



Terry has three of them, each of which holds a quart.  Due to her high number of visitors, the one outside the kitchen window only lasts about 24 hours, while the two on the front porch last a tad longer.  But she easily goes through close to a gallon of sugar water a day.  



I did hand feed while she was refilling, and managed to get one shot of a rufous fly-by (it never landed to feed) though sadly it is out of focus.



I had time to head up to the Party Pool with the stiff wire brush to scrub the slippery moss off of the steps and landing stone.  That brush has seen better days (the bristles on the front third are completely worn away) but I managed to make quite a difference, so there should be fewer "dramatic" entries. 



There were a couple of little deer grazing right by me near the edge of the pool, obviously not at all disturbed by the scraping noise.  Because they had no spots I'm guessing they were yearlings despite being so small - maybe as a result of less food due to the dry conditions all year?   There were a couple of deer on the hill at the east edge of the pool, where the water flows in.  "Chris from Vermont" was thrilled that I had my camera with me and could snap this photo for him.



In news from back home, got this in an e-mail yesterday 
from Marcie, who lives just four houses up from us:

All is well here, almost.  We have now replaced 3 more solar yard lights, for the second time.  Seems like the homeless people are shopping in our front yard.  Last evening I was in my sewing room and witnessed a thief harvesting lights.  I quickly confronted the very smelly (I think very high on something) man and asked him why he was stealing our property.  The response: A quickly retreating man giving me the finger, did not even drop the lights.  



Last night Terry and I watched the first episode of Godless.  Some pretty gruesome scenes to start it off, though we had been warned.  Tonight I think we'll watch the second episode.

Godless is an American television western drama mini-series created by Scott Frank for Netflix. The series received positive reviews and was named one of the year's 10 best by The Washington Post and Vanity Fair.





No comments:

Post a Comment