Monday, July 16, 2018

I haven’t done the bat hike in years (okay, okay, decades, since Neil 'cheated' on his “no vehicles” rule and drove us up to the mine in that old blue beast of a truck about 20 years ago when all our and their kids were young.)  But maybe I should have gone on Saturday. Afterward I  heard that it was quite a sight with the setting sun just right behind the bats, turning them into a golden streamer. And then yesterday the OLT site posted Trisha's (the bat host) photo from Saturday, which is quite the shot.



Yesterday we had to dive into the new 25 lb. bag of sugar to whip up a third (!) batch for the kitchen feeder.  Turns out she is not using that bag for baking as I had thought (she has a separate cannister for that) but only for making nectar.  So now that she's jotted down yesterday's date on the bag it will be interesting to see how long the bag lasts.


I have pulled one of the patio chairs over to aid me during hanging (I am an inch or so too short to reach up and do it easily) and as a bonus standing on the chair puts me right at eye-level with the birds. It was just a little past 6:00 pm, and the full feeder we had put out in the evening the night before had only made it until mid-morning yesterday.


From various formulas and calculations we’ve guessed that feeder is supporting at least 150 hummers, and possibly twice that many.  So the new arrangement I've devised (of which the hummers heartily seem to approve) is to hang the smaller feeder for the few minutes that the large one must disappear inside for rinsing and refilling of another batch.  And yesterday I got quite a thrill!!!


Of course the birds scatter when I take the feeder down, but mere seconds later, as I was still in the process of hanging the replacement, one brave (most likely just plain hungry) little one took the opportunity to zoom in to eat just inches from my eyes. And it was the calliope, like this one, perched perfectly to give me a close-up view of its distinctive gorget!!! 


Time seemed to stand still (I certainly didn’t move so as not to startle it) as I drank in the experience. 


Naturally I did not have my camera with me - but it didn’t really matter!


It definitely made my heart sing, and I was still beaming hours later.



Never did make it up to the pools yesterday since the rain started early in the day.  Though it was off and on (and mostly light), it was the best wetting so far, and (since sorely needed) much appreciated. Last night I fell asleep to the sound of pitter-patter n the roof, and will be interested to find out the official total today.  Can pretty much guarantee we did NOT get this much!



Heard from Tom yesterday that our pool now resembles pea soup.  


 Our pool service is slated to come today to address the situation, and I sure hope it’s an easy fix.  Tom did do some mowing and trimming over the weekend, always bad enough in Phoenix during July - but without the pool to dive into to cool off? Especially NOT fun!



Marcie says I was missed at the monthly Sewcial at The Flying Pig on Saturday. Unfortunately I won’t be home in time for their August fun, and pretty sure that the September date conflicts with the music festival in Flagstaff.  May have to attend one of Cindy’s other get-togethers, like Sew You Need Help.


The pattern Marcie chose for the quilting on Mom’s quilt sounds perfect - and sounds as if it could be finished well before I return home! Can’t wait to see it (though not quite badly enough to return to the Phoenix heat ahead of schedule...LOL)



Last night (after a dinner which finally included pesto.... LOL) Terry got to watch Pauline and Paulette (after hearing me rave about it as "the perfect movie") for years, and she did find it most enjoyable.


I, of , course, have seen it many times, though not in a while,
 and enjoyed it as much as ever.


Waiting to take care of morning business before heading up to soak.  So far it looks like a lovely morning, but the clouds have been appearing earlier and earlier each day.  While I don't mind the clouds I'm not nearly so thrilled with the thunder that inevitably follows their appearance, since that supposes lightning has been "lurking" nearby!



*Note: Elinor had an uneventful drive and arrived in Dallas on Friday without incident, but shortly after her arrival Hilda fell (she apparently lost her balance while turning, just like when Mom recently fell.)  Luckily she didn't break anything (always a possibility from a fall at her age) and 'just' has some soreness as a result.  Elinor, however, also fell while unpacking things from her car; she still has no feeling in her feet despite hopes of that returning after her major back surgery two summers ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment