Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Frannie's puppies have started to arrive; the first little guy was born at 5:30 a.m. (Texas time) today.  Not sure who is holding him, but pretty sure that midwife is not Marilyn.  Despite several ultrasound pix, there are differing opinions on how many siblings will eventually join him.


Here is mom-to-be Frannie a few days ago, testing out her whelping box.



Yesterday morning I picked up the latest book to come in at the library (and yes, more arrived later in the afternoon so I'll be making another trip) which I'm finding well-written and am definitely enjoying.

                                        

Hazard is a poignant, unflinching memoir of the emotional intricacies of growing up with a severely disabled sibling. Margaret Combs shows how her Southern Baptist family coped with the reality of autism in an era of ignorance and shame, the 1950s through the 1970s, and shares her own tragedy and anguish of being torn between helping her brother and yearning for her own life. Like many siblings of disabled children, young Margaret drives herself to excel in order to make up for her family’s sorrow and ultimately flees her family for what she hopes is a “normal” life.
Hazard is also a story of indelible bonds between siblings: the one between Combs and her sister, and the deep and rueful one she has with her disabled brother; how he and she were buddies; and how fervently she wanted to make him whole. Initially fueled by a wish that her brother had never been born, the author eventually arrives in a deeper place of gratitude for this same brother, whom she loves and who loves her in return.

I did complete an upper body workout at the gym yesterday, but with lesser weights than usual - and, on one machine, we discovered we needed to cut back from full range of motion.  While I don't want to be a wuss, of course I DON'T want to aggravate my shoulder/arm issue!  I'm grateful that my wonderful and knowledgeable trainer Jim feels the same way, and doesn't belong to the "no pain, no gain" contingent!



I've started working on one of my holiday gifts, a set of 8 placemats.  While I am very happy with the way they are turning out, the stunning fabrics are doing most of the work for me!  Wanda came over in the afternoon (she needed to escape her house while her housekeeper was there) and heartily approved.  (She had been with me when I bought the fabrics.) 



It was fun to see all the projects she whipped up in Prescott at the retreat last week, and I might even make up one of them (at least I've now got a copy of the pattern to add to my stash!)


 
After a thorough search on the internet, Wanda found a picture of a quilt she wants to make in red/white (for the AQG Ruby Anniversary in March?) so I drafted a partial pattern onto graph paper for her.  Louise is going to use her computer EQ program (I'll see her at Busy Bees this morning) to whip up the entire pattern for Wanda.



Tom and I continue to muck out kitchen cabinets, and Wanda found a few items in our "rehome" pile (including a wonderful glass baking dish with handles) to go home with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment